Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Kavilen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:17 am

Kavilen

Subject title: Frustrated

I know I've posted something similar here, but I feel like it helps to get all of your opinions. Straight to the point, I'm not seeing any improvement. I feel like everything I draw looks the same or there's barely any improvement, and, honestly, I feel very unmotivated to draw because of it. I get frustrated when trying to draw a complex pose and it ends up looking horrible. I'm also starting to develop a bad habit of comparing myself to artists who are around the same age or younger and feeling disappointed in myself because their skill is so much higher than mine. I feel like at the rate I develop, I'll never be able to make art as a career. Any advice?

Postby Audiazif » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Audiazif

Kavilen wrote:Straight to the point, I'm not seeing any improvement. I feel like everything I draw looks the same or there's barely any improvement, and, honestly, I feel very unmotivated to draw because of it.

I am not trying to discourage you but there will be times where you see little to no improvement and the better you get the less drastic the improvement will seem. Improvement happens slowly. Your work habits can help or hurt the speed at which you improve but it still will happen slowly. You are not doing yourself any favors if you are not drawing much and taking long breaks. You will constantly have to get back into the swing of things and be starting, at the most, where you left off but more likely a few steps behind. You need to consistently practice to improve.

Kavilen wrote:I get frustrated when trying to draw a complex pose and it ends up looking horrible.

If you are getting frustrated drawing complex poses than that means you just need to continue working at it. Frustration is a part of learning. Try to draw and practice more at complex poses. If it is too frustrating maybe dial it back and try less complex poses or if you are stuck ask for critique. For a fact, not working on it or not doing it will not make it any easier the next time you try.

Kavilen wrote:I'm also starting to develop a bad habit of comparing myself to artists who are around the same age or younger and feeling disappointed in myself because their skill is so much higher than mine. I feel like at the rate I develop, I'll never be able to make art as a career.

You only see an artist's work, you will not see what the artist has been through or what they have done to get to the point where they are (unless they choose to disclose that info). They could of done nothing but art since they were little or have only been doing art for a few years, there is no way to tell, especially by their age. Use artist who are better than you, regardless of age, as gauges of where you might need to take your art. Do not worry about age or how long it took them to get to that point. Everyone has their own path to take.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Art Questions and Discussion