Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby CustardBlood » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:05 pm

CustardBlood

Subject title: Hair and it's struggles

Are there any comprehensive hair guides? I know proko has a good video, but his hair isn’t really my style. I’ve scoured the internet and only found ONE video that I could actually come away from with something, and I’ve already applied all of it's tips.

I’ve tried treating it like ribbon, then it seems too thin. I’ve tried adding weight to make it less one dimensional, only to have it now appear bulky, and slow down the image. And don’t even get me started on the details..

An artist I really look up to in the hair department is: https://mobile.twitter.com/mikuchocojam ... 60/photo/3 And I’ve yet to find any comprehensive information on this kind of hair. When I wing it, I don’t know if I’m doing it correctly... I have no idea how to apply fundamentals to hair, or how to achieve the detail/ flow without making it too bulky or too whispy, or just never quite looking right.

I’ve also tried studying from life, but I don’t know how I’m supposed to interpret hair, especially in that way.

It’s a nightmare. I can only draw bob haircuts. Please help.

Postby Audiazif » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:51 pm

Audiazif

I think it would be easier to give advice if you shared some examples of your own work.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Art Questions and Discussion