Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby LK Crown » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:48 pm

LK Crown

Subject title: Choosing Colors

I am onto this picture of mine again and want to finish it now.

My problem is to pick colors.
I watched the video "How to choose colors that work", where Sycra explained, that you use only a third of your color-palette for some colors.

So, I chose as the primary Color for the picture the blue of his uniform.
Now, in order to find the colors for the wood in the background, I would say it has to be brownish, which is on the orange-side of the colorwheel,
so I went to orange and then I only use the third of the color-field, where I have a lot of white or black, but not much of orange.

What I picked now, SHOULD read as brown in comparison to the blue Uniform in the foreground, i think.

Does this look right?
Is the new (test-)version better than the old one?
Should I replace all browns with this blue-greyish color?

OLD Version

ruler_ownVersionO_small.jpg

NEW Version

ruler_colortest_small.jpg

Postby Audiazif » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:44 pm

Audiazif

Color is very difficult to package into a neat and tidy system of rules. No system is perfect and they are more a guide rather than concrete rules that need to be followed. The "system" in the video falls short because it is for only one kind of color scheme and will not work for all situations. For what is explained in the video to work, you need to change all the colors in the painting to follow the system. I think this system is kind of in a way using gamut masking/mapping.

This video talks about what gamut masking is and how it works. This gets your colors to work together in context with one another.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Snakebreath » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:44 am

Snakebreath

I think as a beginner it's really hard to apply colour theory because so often it is broken to create appealing pallets. It's not like driving, where if you go through a red light that is considered bad, but instead going through the red light creates happy accidents. It's great to understand colour theory, but in general it's very rarely followed to a tee.

One thing I would highly reccomend as a beginner, is to really try to steer clear of doing to much "finished work". I was told this SO much when I started and never listened for whatever reason. Doing thumbnails and short studies will help a lot more than doing finished work where you're spending hours polishing something that has fundamental errors. I did a quick example, I took about 2 minutes per thumbnail and just experimented with some different colour palletes. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, if something doesn't look good, examine it, figure out why and fix it in the next thumbnail.
thumbs.jpg

Postby LK Crown » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:04 pm

LK Crown

insane how the whole picture changes based on the color of the sky!
(i love the third and fourth, even if it conveys the wrong mood)
I will try it with thumbnails like you adviced, maybe I accidentally figure out what colors would look good.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion