Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby LK Crown » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:45 pm

LK Crown

Subject title: Artist-Software missing?

Since I am a programmer also, I am thinking about what could be a useful product to make.

I am wondering, if there could be a software, that would be very useful for artists,
but that does not exist,yet.

Are you missing some kind of software, where you would wish somebody created it?

Postby svarn » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:22 pm

svarn

I don't know if there's really need for something like this. Perhaps I'm just incompetent at using social media.
But I used to think about a software for posting to multiple social media sites.
So let's say you'd drag and drop an image to the software, you'd have a text box to write a description and all the hashtags.
Then the software would go to your deviantarts, twitters, instagrams, artstations and so on. And fill everything in for you.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but especially with #'s I've noticed that I can't just copy paste them as I please, because every site uses them a bit differently, and they don't paste in properly.

There could also be a feature to scheduled posting.
And since getting traffic on each and every art site is a bit different. It could also have site specific features or even bots.

Postby Snakebreath » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:32 pm

Snakebreath

svarn, most social media already allows you to post to multiple sources. It's hard to make an end all be all as you need to get each media platform to work with you.

As far as actual programs? Not really. There is already established animation programs, vector programs, "realistic" painting/draw programs, flexible editing suites like Photoshop, lots of 3D programs, etc. All you can really do is find a niche and try to make a better product then your competition. In this regard Animation would be your best bet. Animation is CRYING for a new user friendly, well made program. Currently most studios still use super old renditions of Flash. My last contract was a higher budget, so they used Toon Boom, but the price of licenses makes it really hard for studios to use. Currently, Toon Boom is the only competition in this industry for programs, and if you undercut their pricing you could get a lot of customers. Given you have a good product.

Postby Snakebreath » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:42 pm

Snakebreath

Also, you need to remember the majority of your userbase/revenue is going to come from Pro's. And making a program that's a big enough leap ahead of the competition is difficult. There are "industry" standards and it's extremely hard to change them. License cost isn't an issue, its the actual training of manpower to learn the new software.

For example when we used Toon Boom, the studio needed to host 2 months worth of training, which when you have 100 animators, that's A LOT of money in wages. The creators of Toon Boom paid the studio a portion of these wages, (because they wanted the contract) which is another expense you need to think about as a new developer.

Postby Snakebreath » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:00 pm

Snakebreath

One niche that may exist is a beginner 3D program that is very user friendly. Currently they exist, things like Blender that are open source and free, but they're just as confusing to a beginner then the pro software. You could make a more sophisticated version of the software for pros, but keep the coding extremely clean. One major issue with the professional programs in the 3D industry is that they are about 20 years old, and each new version is built on top of the old one, which makes for a terribly optimized program that crashes at the random-est time, with little to no warning.

Postby Wb_draws » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:46 pm

Wb_draws

It seems to me that it would be worth getting into programs for mobile devices. As far as general painting programs go for iOS, there seems to be little space, as Procreate, Artstudio pro and clip studio are sufficient for most people (and photoshop should arrive in 2019). But there is really no professional 3D or animation app, so there could be place for that. As far as Android goes (from what Ive heard) there is no professional app, so there is definately some place there. Hope it helps

Return to Art Questions and Discussion