Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Pumagami » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:25 am

Pumagami

Subject title: How to paint over lineart??

Here are some sketches I colored.

I'm trying to take my art with the next level with painting over my lineart. But i can't figure out how to do it. Whenever I try, it looks bad, and my shapes go all over the place. I can paint portraits by blocking in shapes, but I can't go any further. When I try to get rid of my lineart layer so I can paint, I almost scream because it looks so bad. As you can see, I kind of colored in the lineart to make it look less prominent, but I just want to paint over it like everyone else does so easily/ So i guess what i'm asking is how do I make rendered drawings and paintings without lineart? All i can do is color and paint inside the lines. I can't figure it out for my life.
puma sketches small.jpg

Postby Oli » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Oli

Hey there ;)

I think that you might wanna pay closer attention to where you put your values (light & shadows). Without the lines, this'll be the only cue for the shape of your shapes. To make things easier in the beginning, start with monochrom! And, check your edges, look out for soft and hard edges. A bit of practise and it'll look great!

Have fun
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby Snakebreath » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Snakebreath

Everyone has a process that works best for them. I've found personally the easiest way is to flat everything first (all basic shapes and whatnot) then use your lineart at a low opacity on top as reference when you're colouring the picture. Of course if you plan on using a style with no lineart, you need to make sure your values are contrasting enough so things don't start to blend together.

Postby Audiazif » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:50 pm

Audiazif

Lines are shorthand for conveying contrast. To convey contrast without lines you need to play with value, hue, and saturation. This is not an easy task if you are reliant on lines. I think what Oil suggested is a good starting point. Start to learn to see in blocks of value and become less reliant on lines.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Art Questions and Discussion