Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby godsi » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:06 pm

godsi

Subject title: Portfolio analysis + a few questions.

Hello everyone, for a few months now, I've struggled to find a path I want to take as an artist. I am a freelance artist that draws for a hobby, but I also want to take my work more seriously. I'm going to link my portfolio below (it only contains a few pieces) and I have some questions I would like to ask to anyone that wants to offer an answer.
https://www.artstation.com/trajon
So far, does my portfolio look like it has a particular theme?
If I want my portfolio to look professional, what steps should I take?
Is there any tips a young, inexperienced artist should remember when trying to look professional?
Do I give off the impression of an amateur artist?

thank you.

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:27 pm

Ambiguity

godsi wrote:So far, does my portfolio look like it has a particular theme?

That you like to paint girls and the color pink?

godsi wrote:If I want my portfolio to look professional, what steps should I take?

Don't make it an "art" portfolio, make it for the job you actually want. Do you want to be an animator? How about an environment concept artist? An editorial illustrator maybe? Pick something, one thing for each portfolio, and focus on getting good at that thing. Also if there is a specific company you like, then make a portfolio tailored specifically to them, show them that you can meet the same level of skill as the artists they already have and that you have some value to add to their team.

godsi wrote:Is there any tips a young, inexperienced artist should remember when trying to look professional?

Keep your art social medias free from too many things that aren't related to art. Only keep your best art up on your portfolio sites(sketches on sketch blogs are fine). Not really much else to it from what I've heard other than don't low-ball yourself and don't be an asshole lol.

godsi wrote:Do I give off the impression of an amateur artist?

I'm not really sure how you would define an amateur artist exactly, but inexperienced for sure. All professionals start off inexperienced though right? Some people learn at home, some people learn at school, and some people are fortunate enough to make the right connections so they get to learn on the job.

Postby godsi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:42 am

godsi

Ambiguity wrote:
godsi wrote:So far, does my portfolio look like it has a particular theme?

That you like to paint girls and the color pink?

godsi wrote:If I want my portfolio to look professional, what steps should I take?

Don't make it an "art" portfolio, make it for the job you actually want. Do you want to be an animator? How about an environment concept artist? An editorial illustrator maybe? Pick something, one thing for each portfolio, and focus on getting good at that thing. Also if there is a specific company you like, then make a portfolio tailored specifically to them, show them that you can meet the same level of skill as the artists they already have and that you have some value to add to their team.

godsi wrote:Is there any tips a young, inexperienced artist should remember when trying to look professional?

Keep your art social medias free from too many things that aren't related to art. Only keep your best art up on your portfolio sites(sketches on sketch blogs are fine). Not really much else to it from what I've heard other than don't low-ball yourself and don't be an asshole lol.

godsi wrote:Do I give off the impression of an amateur artist?

I'm not really sure how you would define an amateur artist exactly, but inexperienced for sure. All professionals start off inexperienced though right? Some people learn at home, some people learn at school, and some people are fortunate enough to make the right connections so they get to learn on the job.

Thank you for your response!

Postby Snakebreath » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:49 am

Snakebreath

Pretty much what Amb said.

If you were to send this to a studio, I think 99% of people looking would pass it over without much thought. Not necessarily because the art is inexperienced, I actually like your style. But it has no direction. Take a look at Feng Zhu's students and how they develop their portfolios. They're very focused on the job they want to get. I mean think of it as a visual resume. You wouldn't apply to a banking job with your resume full of experience working at a circus, or herding sheep in the mountains of Ireland.

Postby Plumbum » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:05 am

Plumbum

Snakebreath wrote: You wouldn't apply to a banking job with your resume full of experience working at a circus, or herding sheep in the mountains of Ireland.

Dammit!
We have DID (the thing Sycra has).

Quick summary of forum writers:
Artist: she is mainly the one who draws.
Writer: he is usually the one who writes on the forum.
Lawyer: he studies everything, honestly.
Real names are private.

Sketchbook: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14540

Postby godsi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:27 am

godsi

Snakebreath wrote:Pretty much what Amb said.

If you were to send this to a studio, I think 99% of people looking would pass it over without much thought. Not necessarily because the art is inexperienced, I actually like your style. But it has no direction. Take a look at Feng Zhu's students and how they develop their portfolios. They're very focused on the job they want to get. I mean think of it as a visual resume. You wouldn't apply to a banking job with your resume full of experience working at a circus, or herding sheep in the mountains of Ireland.

Thank you! I have taken this into consideration and began narrowing down what I want to do exactly. I feel as this will really help me.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion