Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby godsi » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:23 am

godsi

Subject title: Help with a Commission, Lighting and Male Faces

Hello everyone, I recently received a commission from a friend. She wanted me to draw her OC and the HunterXHunter character Knuckle Bine ---> https://www.google.com/search?q=Knuckle+Bine&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizz4KR8uLZAhUNSq0KHSFwBTIQ_AUICigB&biw=1706&bih=826 in a friendly pose.
I had a bit of trouble drawing Knuckle's face since I face difficulty making faces masculine. I also think his expression looks awkward or forced, even scary, and I'm not sure how to fix it.
I think I implemented his design into my style well but I feel like I could use some extra help. If anyone sees anything that needs to be fixed I'm all ears.

Also, in this drawing I wanted light coming in from the right side, behind the characters. I added the light reflecting off of the girl's hair and the boy's face and also added a shadow to the bottom left of them both. In the past I had trouble with lighting, so I want to make sure I have it rendered correctly here. Please let me know if I've done it incorrectly.

Thank you!
CMM1png.png

Postby Josephcow » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:24 pm

Josephcow

Hmm this might seem nitpicky, but it seems more like the light is coming from the front right rather than behind because of the way you've painted it. It's possible that you let the way you're used to painting faces dictate your lighting rather than the other way around.

I made this picture a long time ago for someone with the same problem. (it's not very impressive painting :) ) The light is at the same angle for all these balls, but at a different orientation in space, which changes how much of the ball recieves light. Imagine the heads in your painting as a ball.
Spoiler: show
Untitled-2.jpg

The expression looks a bit odd maybe because they are both smiling, yet their cheeks indicate the opposite. When you smile even a little bit the skin and fat bunch together, making a round form. the shadow that you painted along the contour of the cheek bones indicates that the cheeks stretching inward if anything.

I think in both these instances it is a case of your style needing to be more flexible in order to represent more facets of reality.

Postby godsi » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:28 pm

godsi

Josephcow wrote:Hmm this might seem nitpicky, but it seems more like the light is coming from the front right rather than behind because of the way you've painted it. It's possible that you let the way you're used to painting faces dictate your lighting rather than the other way around.

I made this picture a long time ago for someone with the same problem. (it's not very impressive painting :) ) The light is at the same angle for all these balls, but at a different orientation in space, which changes how much of the ball recieves light. Imagine the heads in your painting as a ball.
Spoiler: show
The attachment Untitled-2.jpg is no longer available

The expression looks a bit odd maybe because they are both smiling, yet their cheeks indicate the opposite. When you smile even a little bit the skin and fat bunch together, making a round form. the shadow that you painted along the contour of the cheek bones indicates that the cheeks stretching inward if anything.

I think in both these instances it is a case of your style needing to be more flexible in order to represent more facets of reality.

Thanks for the helpful response! I worked on it a bit more and decided to change where the light was coming from since I was having so much trouble. Your example helps a lot, and I think I fixed it here in the updated drawing. I also changed the expressions into something more calm since I'm having trouble with wrinkles and folds in the face. My style is very limited in what it can do and I hope to change that soon with lots of practice. I have a case of the same-face syndrome and I often cannot make certain expressions at all. Thank you for your advice as I will definitely use it!

CMM1updatepng.png

Return to Art Questions and Discussion