Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Ajumani » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Ajumani

Subject title: Difficulty drawing angles

I've been having a little trouble lately about drawing angles but more specifically getting the angle to match up with what im seeing.

From the book drawing on the right side of the brain theres a little bit about visualizing the shape in your mind and then drawing it after...

but i have a hard time visualizing it and i end up drawing the angle too steep or its just way off of what its suppose to be.
I do check the angles everytime and its usually either way off or off by a little and i end up fixing it
Am i doing something wrong or will my eyes just get better eventually at seeing them im not entirely sure and its making me lose motivation a bit

Any advice or tips that could possibly help with this would be greatly appreciated!
https://imgur.com/a/QpLyW (the section in the book where it talks about the angles)

Postby azarga » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:03 pm

azarga

It's largely a matter of practice.

While you practice, you can use more detailed. multistep measurment prooving of your construction.

Make several marks based on more accurate measuring of the object at several points, then draw the angle using those marks. Don't hesitate to measure stuff if you want to replicate it precisely.
I can't muster the energy to formulate a coherent explanation, so I made this monstrocity to illustrate.

Illustration.png
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby Audiazif » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:35 pm

Audiazif

Ajumani wrote:I do check the angles everytime and its usually either way off or off by a little and i end up fixing it

This is how it should be going. With practice you will get better with angles but the important thing is that you try to fix it when it goes wrong. When fixing it you should draw the correction based on the wrong part and then erase instead of erasing and then redrawing. This gives you something to base your redraw off of rather than trying to redraw with nothing. This method also helps with when you draw something the way you want it but in the wrong position, without erasing the that part just duplicate those lines in the the position you want and then erase the initial part (usually this is good for small correction). This method is obviously more suited for erasable media and works better if you are working with light initial lines. This kind of brings up another tip which is to work lightly first, I am sure you have come across this advice. This gives you the chance to correct and restate more times than if you are working with darker initial lines. I think this advice may go against what the book is trying to teach. The thing is you will rarely ever get things correct in the first go no matter how skilled you are or are going to be. I think working with that in mind frees you from a lot of pressure once you get used to working that way, things don't have to be defined and correct the first time.

When checking angle there are many other way to check than the one in the book. I would maybe try to find other ways to do it in addition to this way. Some ways may work better for you in different in different situations.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Ajumani » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:49 am

Ajumani

azarga wrote:It's largely a matter of practice.

While you practice, you can use more detailed. multistep measurment prooving of your construction.

Make several marks based on more accurate measuring of the object at several points, then draw the angle using those marks. Don't hesitate to measure stuff if you want to replicate it precisely.
I can't muster the energy to formulate a coherent explanation, so I made this monstrocity to illustrate.

Illustration.png
Thanks for the help the pictures were more than enough! I never really thought about doing angles this way so I'll try to use this as practice later on and see how it goes! :D

Postby Ajumani » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:50 am

Ajumani

Audiazif wrote:
Ajumani wrote:I do check the angles everytime and its usually either way off or off by a little and i end up fixing it

This is how it should be going. With practice you will get better with angles but the important thing is that you try to fix it when it goes wrong. When fixing it you should draw the correction based on the wrong part and then erase instead of erasing and then redrawing. This gives you something to base your redraw off of rather than trying to redraw with nothing. This method also helps with when you draw something the way you want it but in the wrong position, without erasing the that part just duplicate those lines in the the position you want and then erase the initial part (usually this is good for small correction). This method is obviously more suited for erasable media and works better if you are working with light initial lines. This kind of brings up another tip which is to work lightly first, I am sure you have come across this advice. This gives you the chance to correct and restate more times than if you are working with darker initial lines. I think this advice may go against what the book is trying to teach. The thing is you will rarely ever get things correct in the first go no matter how skilled you are or are going to be. I think working with that in mind frees you from a lot of pressure once you get used to working that way, things don't have to be defined and correct the first time.

When checking angle there are many other way to check than the one in the book. I would maybe try to find other ways to do it in addition to this way. Some ways may work better for you in different in different situations.
Thanks a lot for the advice. I do tend to draw lightly so its easier to erase and fix mistakes when i need too! I'm quite the perfectionist at time so I always want everything to be at the exact angle and length which i know isnt possible most of the time but reading youre information really helped me out and relieved some pressure off my back. Thanks again so much for the tips i appriciate it!

Return to Art Questions and Discussion