Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby malkuth » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:32 pm

malkuth

Subject title: Newbie question about wrinkles between eyes and forehead

Hi, I have just practising drawing after many years. I am trying to draw a picture using a friends picture as a reference.

It is a shouting - angry pose and I don't copy the picture but use it as a guideline. But I have trouble drawing the wrinkles between the eyes going up to the forehead. I can draw it as a cartoon or comic but when I want to draw it more detailed and realistic it just doesn't make sense whatever I do.

Are there any tips or rules for these wrinkles? Especially for the fold on upper nose and bumps at the beginning of the eyebrows.

Thanks already,
Untitled-2.jpg
This is where I have my problem
small.jpg
This is my reference pic

Postby Josephcow » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:07 am

Josephcow

Ah yeah that's tricky. Nice job so far though!

I would say that you can go ahead and paint that horizontal wrinkle between the eyes. But remember that it's not a line! It's two masses of tissue bunching together. Like two balloons that you squish together, they create a dark line where they meet, but the important part is actually the form of the balloons, right? So what I'm saying is if you take care of the forms around the actual wrinkles, the wrinkles kind of take care of themselves and don't have a flattening effect.

I don't want to get off topic, but I feel that it has to do with the expression. Looking at the ref I notice that the cheeks are actually all in light, but you have the lower half in shadow. Painting them in light reinforces that the face is streeeeeetching whereas painting them in shadow makes it look like he might be smiling! It changes the form. So I know that you aim to change the reference a bit which is good, but I think the placement of your shadows is something to be mindful of. Similarly I notice that while the lower eyelids are darker in local color, they are actually in light as well, not shadow. Having this and the the eye socket in light combined with the little shading near the temple makes it look like the brows are stretched upward which enhances the expression.
Untitled-2e.png

Postby malkuth » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:58 am

malkuth

Josephcow wrote:Ah yeah that's tricky. Nice job so far though!

I would say that you can go ahead and paint that horizontal wrinkle between the eyes. But remember that it's not a line! It's two masses of tissue bunching together. Like two balloons that you squish together, they create a dark line where they meet, but the important part is actually the form of the balloons, right? So what I'm saying is if you take care of the forms around the actual wrinkles, the wrinkles kind of take care of themselves and don't have a flattening effect.

I don't want to get off topic, but I feel that it has to do with the expression. Looking at the ref I notice that the cheeks are actually all in light, but you have the lower half in shadow. Painting them in light reinforces that the face is streeeeeetching whereas painting them in shadow makes it look like he might be smiling! It changes the form. So I know that you aim to change the reference a bit which is good, but I think the placement of your shadows is something to be mindful of. Similarly I notice that while the lower eyelids are darker in local color, they are actually in light as well, not shadow. Having this and the the eye socket in light combined with the little shading near the temple makes it look like the brows are stretched upward which enhances the expression.

Thank you Joseph for the detailed answer. This has helped me a lot about that wrinkle's form and the highlight on the upper eyelids.

I have painted a dark layer on eyesockets to place the eyebrows, would remove that layer and do the lightning later but you have already made that step esier for me.

I've just painted to see form on the lower cheeks yet but I understand what I mean. It seems fatty and peaceful, should have a flater longer surface going down for this expression. Thanks for pointing that out.

And you didn't mention it but when I compare the pictures, you seem to paint with a harder edge and it seems more like a painting. Maybe I should try to add that too.

I will change his hair with a long mohawk, give him an harsher face and make him a dwarf warrior with a light source from upper front. I only know what I've learned from youtube vids and it is not exactly that easy to apply as it seems while watching. Especially the values, the forms seem to be so easy to change and feel wrong. I will share the picture as it improves and ask for more correction and advice.

Thanks Again,

Return to Art Questions and Discussion