Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby tokigami.kineko » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:49 am

tokigami.kineko

Subject title: About learning order of fundamentals of drawing.

I was going to start drawing again. However, someone on DeviantArt told me the following things. He was very enthusiastic about his advices.

• Learn gesture and value or value and gesture after perspective but before anything else.
  • Without values, I wouldn't be able to draw anatomy with depth. Drawing anatomy with depth is important.
  • Learn to draw complex forms like human figures in accurate perspective with something like Scott Robertson's How to Draw.
  • If I didn't stick to a proper learning order, it would become orders of magnitude harder to learn to draw figures, etc, ... in comics.
If I assimilated his advices on the learning order of fundamentals of drawing, I would get something like
  • Basic Drawing Techniques(Straight Line, Ellipses, ...)
  • Proportion
  • Perspective
  • Complex forms in Perspective with something like Scott Robertson's How to Draw <-- This can come after Values
  • Values
  • Gesture -> Anatomy, or Gesture & Anatomy
  • (Texture &) Color (& Values again)
I checked his gallery on DeviantArt. I found some rudimentary drawings of skulls, apples, and spaceships with some amounts of values. He didn't seem a lot more advanced than I am.

I agree that if I knew values, I could draw anatomy with depth. What do you think of his opinions?

Postby Moe » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:47 am

Moe

Just start man, I feel like you're overanalyzing this stuff. The most important thing is mileage not theory, I've met artists who've never studied theory and still draw really good. Again, there is no perfect path or perfect book or perfect set exercises, these are stuff you just figure out through trial and error.
Yolo

Postby Audiazif » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:10 am

Audiazif

I agree with moe.

I think you are putting the cart before the horse. You need to stop analyzing and draw. Don't worry about the fundamentals and theories, just draw. Draw what you see, draw what you like, and draw what inspires you. Maybe after some amount of time you look back at your previous work and try to look for one thing you want to work on for the next batch of drawings. If you are really struggling to find something you need to work on ask for advice or critique. You may find more than one thing you need to work but with one. Study that one thing for a little and then apply that. Rinse and repeat.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby azarga » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:21 am

azarga

Aren't you the guy constantly worrying about wasting 6 years not drawing?

Why don't you stop wasting more time on trying to come up with some fanrasy 100% perfect foolproof curriculum and start to actually, u know, DRAWING?

You will accumulate more skill and way faster following a very flawed learning plan that you restructure as you go depending on new problems you face during your PRACTICE, than when you spend months and years making that perfect plan while not actually doing any practice.

No, reading books, watching videos and "studying art" does not in any way substitute practise.

Consider stopping wasting your time on pointless planning and overthinking. It will never be perfect, so you can go with a workable curriculum with flaws in it, or keep jerking the idea of perfect plan and waste even more time.

Yes, very rude, but I think being nice and dancing around the elephant in the room already did you enough disservice.

Feel free to report me to Ambi if your feels are hurt.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby DarkLored123 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:00 pm

DarkLored123

I think you are wasting your time planning so much instead of actually learning and practicing, it is a bad habit to constantly question whether what you are doing is right before even trying it for some time to see if it works or not. Have some confidence in yourself and choose your own approach rather than solely relying on opinions of others, how are you ever gonna make any decisions as an artists if you always need a second opinion?

I am not saying that seeking advice is bad but relying on it too much can be rather harmful, also make sure the source that you are asking advice from is reliable if the person is the same level as you then you should probably seek advice from someone who is at the level that you want to be or someone who actually has something to back his words with, otherwise you might head towards the wrong path.

There is no order to learning the fundamentals, it is up to you to figure out which are more important to you to tackle first depending on your needs. The more time you spend planning instead of actual practice is time wasted.

Postby Audiazif » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:54 pm

Audiazif

I see a lot of us are saying the same thing and it may seem like we are all ganging up on you but we are trying to help you in a "tough love" sort of way. I just want to say that don't let this discourage you from posting in the future, just try to maybe ask more specific things or for crits every once in a while. Again we want to help you but I and maybe the others feel like we are not getting through to you and that is why we may come across as a bit blunt.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Josephcow » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:02 am

Josephcow

The fundamentals are simply things that we believe are important. They are not subjects to be learned in the same fashion that you learn school subjects because they don't exist in a linear way. Color depends on value depends on lighting, depends on form, depends on proportion, depends on gesture and so on.

But I'll comment on the actual advice, though note that I do agree with the crowd on this one.

If I were to put an order to the things you need to learn, I would actually start with something so basic it's not even on the list. Seeing! Can't draw if you don't see. And a beginner doesn't see. We naturally see things very distorted and symbolically, and we need to train ourselves to see differently, more objectively. That's why your first order of business if just to go out there and look, and draw. (in my personal opinion).

I think the reason this post has sparked so much frustration is because it's extremely difficult to teach someone to draw who has never drawn. It's like explaining what sugar tastes like to someone who has never tasted it. It just doesn't make sense until you do it.

Postby tokigami.kineko » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:44 am

tokigami.kineko

I read all replies. I get it now. At this point, I'm haggling with unimportant details.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion