Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby LK Crown » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:54 pm

LK Crown

Subject title: How to give Texture to walls and floors?

How do I give Texture to floors and walls, so that they dont look like a flat plane of one color?
Do I just put darker and lighter versions of the same color in random places and render them into the plane?
(same with the sky, i guess)
Or how to do it and which tools to use?

Postby Audiazif » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:27 pm

Audiazif

Do you have an example? In what context are you trying doing this?
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby LK Crown » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:18 pm

LK Crown

Audiazif wrote:Do you have an example? In what context are you trying doing this?

Yeah, in my latest try I have this guy standing in front and in the background I want a street to be seen that leads to the horizon.
Right now the whole street is just brown, in one tone. I dont know how to add the variations to this when it is from imagination. Where do the colors have to be different.
This is an excerpt, hope it makes it clear.

(the corner on the upper left I added with paint just to make a point)

ruler_floor_small.jpg

Postby LK Crown » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:44 pm

LK Crown

I hope the question is not a very dumb one.. :roll:

Here is the complete picture, I posted it into my Sketchbook, hope the link works to that post:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89727&p=246176&sid=ab9f00f348e58bfb61ea1962ea35b92a#p246176

Postby Audiazif » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:13 pm

Audiazif

It is not a dumb question.

It depends on what the ground is made of but no matter what the materials will follow the same sort of ideas.
The first thing is you are going to need is to follow some kind of repeatable pattern but don't make it too regular because people will be able to see where it repeats unless it is brick or something similar.

The next idea is that as you move back the pattern will compress in the vertical direction.

And last thing is that as you move back the pattern will become less defined or detailed.

Look at some reference of what you think might be a good fit for you scene, all you need is to figure out is the pattern. For example cobblestones or brick would be pretty easy to see the pattern. With something like gravel, dirt, or concrete the pattern would be more of a texture (as it goes back in space the texture will need to get denser).
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Josephcow » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:39 pm

Josephcow

think about the big gradients that should be on the ground, too. Like the surface is all facing the same direction, so there wont be big changes in value, but as it goes away from or near the light source it should change value a bit. As it goes back in space it would change value a bit. If you paint these kinds of things with a little texture (meaning not perfectly smooth) the texture on the surface kind of takes care of itself sometimes, though the pattern suggested by audiazif is definitely something you could do, but don't make it too distinct or it will be distracting.

Looking at the full piece (cool ships btw) I feel that you might want to nail down the lighting and colors first before worry about texture. The colors and everything feel like a dark overcast day, but the cast shadows say sunlight. So that's really going to change how you paint the ground.

Postby LK Crown » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:49 am

LK Crown

Try:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89727&p=246538&sid=5eae46f849f2888c7644f6d3cad90fa6#p246538

Also tried to make the shadow under the cart lighter.

Postby marvel57 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:48 am

marvel57

if your talking line art, google comic book inker great joe sinnott. look at his inks over jack kirby or john buscema. he used dots in semi-circular patterns to solidify floors or walls. subtle but easy and effective, good luck! :ugeek:

Return to Art Questions and Discussion