Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby LK Crown » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:39 am

LK Crown

Subject title: Translate old Black/White / brownish Photos into Color

How do I translate old black/white or more brownish (brownscale?) photos into Color?
How do I choose the color to indicate light shadows and so on?

For example, if I would have this photo, how do I choose the lighter and darker tones on the jackets (or on the faces), if I want to turn the whole picture into color:

old-photo-plus.jpg

Postby Audiazif » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Audiazif

You would do it the same as with a black and white or toned underpainting, use fills of color on layers with blending modes ("glazing" digitally). The colors are whatever you want them to be. You just need to use your best judgment. You wouldn't put yellow on a very dark toned area for example. Technically the light and dark information is done for you, all you need to do is choose the color. However, like if you were painting over a b and w or toned underpainting, the colors are still not going to be ideal and that is where your judgment comes in. You are going to have to tweak the colors and possibly have to paint over some areas in order to make it not look weird.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Art Questions and Discussion