Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby SapphiresVisor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:30 pm

SapphiresVisor

Subject title: drawing details and patterns

anyone have any tips as tips as to how to go about dealing with drawing this pattern my head is confused. i usually have a lot of trouble with details especially patterns how do i tackle that problem in general?
pattern.PNG

ive tried to take out negative space but its not going so well
pattern 2.PNG

Postby azarga » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:20 pm

azarga

Just to clarify: which pattern are you having problem with? Stripes or fabric texture (weave)?
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby SapphiresVisor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 pm

SapphiresVisor

azarga wrote:Just to clarify: which pattern are you having problem with? Stripes or fabric texture (weave)?

the stripes to be specific

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:52 pm

Ambiguity

How you're doing it is probably exactly how I'd do it(just very carefully), or else I would make the stocking solid white and paint on the black stripes on a different layer.

Postby azarga » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:05 pm

azarga

Pretty much what Ambi said.

Pay more attention to how stripes' thickness incrimentally decreases (or increases, depending which stripes and from which end you look at). On your example you make lines either thick and frequent or thin and spread widely.
Your options are either to just pay more attention to stripe thickness, or you could try cheating your way around by using a brush with fixed brush size (unbound from pressure) and increase/decrease brush size for each next stripe you draw.

You will have to take your time with it either way.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby SapphiresVisor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:17 pm

SapphiresVisor

Ambiguity wrote:How you're doing it is probably exactly how I'd do it(just very carefully), or else I would make the stocking solid white and paint on the black stripes on a different layer.

ok i see i wasn't being careful enough thank you

Postby SapphiresVisor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:20 pm

SapphiresVisor

azarga wrote:Pretty much what Ambi said.

Pay more attention to how stripes' thickness incrimentally decreases (or increases, depending which stripes and from which end you look at). On your example you make lines either thick and frequent or thin and spread widely.
Your options are either to just pay more attention to stripe thickness, or you could try cheating your way around by using a brush with fixed brush size (unbound from pressure) and increase/decrease brush size for each next stripe you draw.

You will have to take your time with it either way.
ill try both those methods guess i wasn't giving it my 100 percent focus but ill improve on it thank you !

Return to Art Questions and Discussion