Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:20 am

Bugpal Hopeday

Subject title: My brain noticeably "switches" between painting and drawing

I have a question for people with a bit of experience of both painting and line drawing.

For a long time until recently, I was primarily a drawer/sketcher. The skills I focused on were producing line art that was proportional, in perspective, etc. A fairly typical exercise for this would be freehand cubes in perspective.

Fairly recently I took up a value-first, painterly approach: I might start with a rough sketch but 90% of the time, value is my focus: blocking in rough values and then refining. I've got a long way to go but I feel like I've come pretty far with this approach through perseverance.

But my more painting-like works often suffer from perspective and design issues that I would never have let slip through with my line drawings. And I feel it's partly a result of these two methods not playing together nicely yet.

It's like my brain has two modes now, VALUE MODE reduces things to their basic values but likes to ignore perspective and proportion. LINE MODE (geometry mode?) is good at spotting and resolving perspective/proportion issues early on but likes to distort reality by being too symbolic, or, say, avoiding foreshortening because it's not easily rendered in valueless lines. And they're not that interested in talking to each other.

TLDR have you noticed your approaches to painting and line drawing are different and it's kinda hard to switch between or combine these modes of thinking? Do you think this is something that tends to work itself out or would it benefit from specific exercises?
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Postby Fantelle » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:36 am

Fantelle

Hm, maybe you could make a sketch (drawing) of what you want to make first and then paint it (separately or directly on top of the lines)? I find that the more iterations I make of something the less mistakes show up, but it might not be the same for you.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:30 pm

DarkLored123

I think an easy solution would simply be to refine your sketch enough so that you can make sure that there are no major flaws in your drawing and then paint over it. Your first step should always be getting your idea down in a coherent enough fashion for yourself, and after you do that then you start painting.

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:25 pm

Bugpal Hopeday

Yeah, I think you're both right that I should focus on an initial sketch more, I guess it's particularly with reference studies where I don't have as much of a consistent method of sketching, so I leap straight to blocking in.

I guess maybe somewhere I picked up the idea that painters mostly block in and then refine, so when I decide I'm doing something like a portrait study, I do that. I think a sketch first approach probably suits my brain better although, on the other hand, I think I've learned a lot about value as a result of focusing on it somewhat myopically for those pieces...
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion