Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby KitKat » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:28 pm

KitKat

Subject title: Creative block

I cant seem to make final artpieces. I lose focus halfway or get so frustrated that I quit.
Although, I'm much focused/interested in the studying aspect of art. I can study a subject for days, breaking it down and analyzing its details. But creating a piece makes me so anxious that I get into analysis paralysis. Even, the pieces i make(rarely) isnt a combination of ideas, just a scene derived from real life.

Help?

Postby Fantelle » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:22 pm

Fantelle

Studying isn't bad. In fact, it's great. So use this to your advantage and keep studying ! And maybe check in every few weeks and try to draw something. If it doesn't work for you, just get back to studying. :)

I am personally motivated to finish pieces when I want to draw something that interests me. Maybe I'm watching a show and I want to draw two characters together, or I have this environment idea in my head and I want to visualize it. Let these come to you naturally - don't push yourself on them. Instead, use this drive to study to your advantage !

Postby Alpacamood » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:28 pm

Alpacamood

i think it has to do with expectations. you're probably studying art and want to make something as amazing as what you're seeing. i'd say focus more on just drawing in a way that frees you from any insecurity, i personally like to draw while watching cartoons or listening to music. get used to mindlessly doodling, like several pages worth till you find ideas you think you want to pursue. i've had similar issues as well. im sure its just about getting too into your head to actually produce something you like because that's what i've found out about myself in that situation. also, give yourself mini projects like maybe do copies of finished illustrations you like and try to incorporate whatever you feel is lacking in your own work.

Postby Audiazif » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:57 pm

Audiazif

I agree with Alpacamood. You need to reduce the amount of pressure and expectations you put on yourself and your art. Go about it by just wanting to create rather than wanting to create something that is what you like or is "good".

This frustration and anxiety is a normal part of creating. Trust in your knowledge and skills and see what comes out of it. I have been surprised by the outcome of a lot of pieces that I have wanted to give up on but didn't. Try to push yourself through these times of frustration and if it is too much to take maybe set the piece aside for a bit and come back to it when you are ready to try again.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:03 am

Ambiguity

Study things that are relevant to what you're working on, you don't have to finish something in a day. In fact, it probably won't be very good if you do. Start something, take it as far as you can, when you get stuck, study what you're stuck on and come back to the piece you were working on with the new knowledge. You shouldn't be studying without a purpose anyway, information won't stick if your brain feels like you're not going to utilize it, so let your illustrations set the purpose for your studies.

Postby KitKat » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:07 am

KitKat

i think it has to do with expectations. you're probably studying art and want to make something as amazing as what you're seeing.

The oversaturation of the market and the competitive nature of the art industry adds to my anxiety when considering the possibility of working as a freelance artist. Turning my art into sellable merchandise or retaining it as a hobby has been one of my main conflict with my art. Since one of those two things are the end goal of my art, it really complicates my purpose of making art.

@Audiazif
Trust in your knowledge and skills and see what comes out of it.

youre right. I should believe in my skills more. But my mind goes to the default " whatever can go wrong, will go wrong" whenever I try to take up projects.

You shouldn't be studying without a purpose anyway, information won't stick if your brain feels like you're not going to utilize it, so let your illustrations set the purpose for your studies

Maybe I find studies easier becuase there is a clear purpose. But by creating art on it own, I keep asking myself "whats the point?," . If I make it a job, I can make money the point. The motivation is there eventhough its a superficial reason. Art as a hobby, for me, induces this constant existential crisis for the creation of art.

Maybe this is all in my head. I dont know. But thank you for the advices. I very much appreciate them.

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:22 pm

Ambiguity

KitKat wrote:Maybe I find studies easier becuase there is a clear purpose.

No shame in that, just make sure you don't miss that purpose altogether by doing studies for the sake of studies.

KitKat wrote:But by creating art on it own, I keep asking myself "whats the point?," . If I make it a job, I can make money the point.

Some people find sports fun even if it isn't their job to play them, entertainment is the point. Art at it's core is a means of communication though. It can be a means of showing how we relate to the world, which what fine art deals with; if you got something to say, then say it.

KitKat wrote:The motivation is there eventhough its a superficial reason. Art as a hobby, for me, induces this constant existential crisis for the creation of art.

If you'd like to try to make it your career, then do it, but if you don't even enjoy what you can create in the first place, why bother? If you find no value in it for yourself then work on what you do find value in.

KitKat wrote:Maybe this is all in my head. I dont know. But thank you for the advices. I very much appreciate them.

It is, but what is in your head is important, it dictates your life decisions, so it's worth taking seriously.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion