Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby tomboyhippyprincess » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:47 am

tomboyhippyprincess

Subject title: perspective help for webcomic newbie

Hi! I'm a self-taught artist who dreams of making freelance comics for a living. I'm working on my first comic ever, and considering my drawing speed and the fact that I'm a highschool student attending college classes, I'm very far off from posting regularly if at all. Despite my practice, I'm having a hard time making my perspective shots look natural.

I need someone to take a look at an example of my progress thus far with perspective and tell me what's wrong with it or give me some tips. I'm keeping my work rough for now so I don't gripe about having to scrap a page, so don't be shy to tell me to start over! This is a rough, bare-bones first draft of my main character's room. (ignore the little panel of his face at the bottom right.)

2.png

My method so far is to draw a floor plan of the room or area i'm drawing, and lay it out on the page as if it was lying on the "floor" of the room (I'm a digital artist, so I can do that), and then work upwards by making the flat shapes on the ground into 3D shapes. Here's this room's floor plan.

3.png

As you can see, the TV and it's table appears to touch the bed, instead of lying a good distance away. And, the bed also looks like it's tilting into the wall. I've taken art classes before that taught me to draw proper still-life drawings and I know how to preform one and two-point perspective drawings, but I'm having trouble applying that knowledge to my comic. Help would be appreciated! I'd really like to be able to post my story ideas without having to give up and turn it into a novel!

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:09 pm

DarkLored123

You'd probably want to start over with the room. If I were you, I'd use a grid to draw a room so that I can keep the 3D space consistent throughout all objects. You have a lot of tangents, and a lot of objects are isometric due to the fact that you are thinking about how the object actually looks rather than how it'd look from that angle.

Tutorials for perspective:
https://nsio.deviantart.com/art/Nsio-ex ... -421873998
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_e89CanFnc&t=208s

You might also want to try a free 3D program called 'SketchUP', 3D programs are very helpful with understanding how perspective works since you have a lot of freedom orbiting and seeing how the grid changes. Now you don't necessarily need to draw the grid to get a believable result of perspective, but if you are going to practice perspective using the grid is a good way to train your mind to see the aspects of what makes things look 3D on a conscious level.

Note that the perspective system assumes the Earth is flat, so if you really want to add a bit for illusion to how things look in actuality in reality then you'd have to understand perspective on a more deeper plane.

This tutorial explains this in greater detail:
https://nsio.deviantart.com/art/Nsio-Ex ... -568509612

BTW the blueprint of the room is a good measure to figuring out where places are, so you are doing the right thing by planning the positions of objects before drawing them in perspective.

Postby tomboyhippyprincess » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:33 pm

tomboyhippyprincess

DarkLored123 wrote:You'd probably want to start over with the room. If I were you, I'd use a grid to draw a room so that I can keep the 3D space consistent throughout all objects. You have a lot of tangents, and a lot of objects are isometric due to the fact that you are thinking about how the object actually looks rather than how it'd look from that angle.

Tutorials for perspective:
https://nsio.deviantart.com/art/Nsio-ex ... -421873998
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_e89CanFnc&t=208s

You might also want to try a free 3D program called 'SketchUP', 3D programs are very helpful with understanding how perspective works since you have a lot of freedom orbiting and seeing how the grid changes. Now you don't necessarily need to draw the grid to get a believable result of perspective, but if you are going to practice perspective using the grid is a good way to train your mind to see the aspects of what makes things look 3D on a conscious level.

Note that the perspective system assumes the Earth is flat, so if you really want to add a bit for illusion to how things look in actuality in reality then you'd have to understand perspective on a more deeper plane.

This tutorial explains this in greater detail:
https://nsio.deviantart.com/art/Nsio-Ex ... -568509612

Oh these tutorials are awesome! Thank you! I've actually been meaning to download SketchUp but never got around to it; I keep forgetting. I'll be sure to take a good long look at all the material you gave me. Thanks again!

BTW the blueprint of the room is a good measure to figuring out where places are, so you are doing the right thing by planning the positions of objects before drawing them in perspective.

Postby Markdawg » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:06 am

Markdawg

An exercise I found helpful is finding a picture of a room, or a house online and find the proper vanishing points in them. So re draw the room in a box and find out where the vanishing points go outside of the box. I hope that helps. The perspective looks unfinished. Keep up the hard work!

Postby tomboyhippyprincess » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:46 pm

tomboyhippyprincess

Markdawg wrote:An exercise I found helpful is finding a picture of a room, or a house online and find the proper vanishing points in them. So re draw the room in a box and find out where the vanishing points go outside of the box. I hope that helps. The perspective looks unfinished. Keep up the hard work!

Oh it's hard alright lol. Thank you very much for the advice!

Postby Markdawg » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:09 am

Markdawg

Send it to me when its finishes! I would like to read it.

Postby tomboyhippyprincess » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:40 pm

tomboyhippyprincess

Markdawg wrote:Send it to me when its finishes! I would like to read it.

Being finished is probably very far off, but once the first chapter is up I'll definitely put a link up!

Postby tomboyhippyprincess » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:57 pm

tomboyhippyprincess

1.png

Update on studying perspective! I think this is infinitely better than my last attempt, regardless of the fact that it's a CRAZY messy sketch. This panel also looks more spontaneous than the first one! I thought it'd be more in character for Roman (the long haired guy from the other panel) to huddle up in his blankets and let the alarm go off for a little while before turning it off. He's supposed to be fairly restless.

The night stand could show off a little less of the top, and I still need to add in the lamp and the alarm clock. So far that's all I see wrong with it, but let me know if anything else is wrong! I'll be taking a break so it'll remain a sketch for a while, so it won't be a huge loss to change it now.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion