Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Belu » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:24 am

Belu

Subject title: Approaching realisim

I resently find out (from porko videos) that studying realisim is best way to learn values, shading, proportions aand some other stuff and I also wanted to learn it for to improve my portrait drawing.
I never done it before so....
Can any one tell me how should I start studying it and what kind of practice I should do?
And tips and advice would be really helpful for me

Postby Mystipen » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:35 pm

Mystipen

I am currently studying realism so I have some advice to give on this matter. In case you are looking for a resource, I am currently going through "Russian Academic Drawing Approach" at NMA (New Masters Academy) so you should check it out if you want to take a course.

Drawing realistically is really just a matter of technical execution because what you are doing is trying to capture the proportions, values, and perspective accurately so that they give the illusion of realism. So, really the only way to learn how to do this is by looking at the real thing, if your goal is to do portraits then study the skull, neck, and shoulders. After that, apply your knowledge to studying an actual subject from reference. You can't really learn realism without using reference and that is because there is too much information in a single image for you to competently capture from imagination (which I believe is overrated), and a lot of professionals recommend aiding your process with references to better inform your decisions.

If you are not convinced that drawing from reference is important, here is an artist named Ruan Jia that admits that he wasted a lot of time by not just using reference in his workflow (skip to 5 min):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEpB5cMCzyQ

So the main takeaway is, learn your fundamentals and then use them to inform your decisions. A lot of people have a hard time separating fundamentals (theory) from drawing skills (motor skills) and get into the mindset that there is a "right" way to draw, but really whichever approach you use to go about drawing something as long as it is informed by the theory then it is up to your motor skills to take over. You can be an expert in the fundamentals, but that does not necessarily guarantee that someone who draws human figures only can suddenly draw animals as well, the fundamentals are a tool that you use to understand what makes an image look like it does rather than a formulaic process that you follow to get a drawing done. If you know your fundamentals but you still have trouble capturing the values, proportions, and perspective correctly then it is your motor skills that are lagging behind which you can only train by practicing.

These are my two cents on the matter. Hopefully it will be of use to you.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion