Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Polymath » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:42 pm

Polymath

Subject title: Showing the good stuff VS Not giving away too much

I would guess you guys all know these ridiculously un-clever Movie-Trailers, where they show you the whole plot of the movie, so that you do not need to watch the movie anymore
(I even remember a specific example: Men In Black 4 (4?) was like that. I did not watch the movie, but I saw the trailer, when I was at the gym, and I know so much, that I was not curious to watch the movie anymore.)

So, As you may or may not know, I am making a game. And I honestly think, that I have some cool ideas in it.
If I imagine I would not be the person, who made it, I honestly would get interested in what I have produced here.

Now I am thinking about showing the game (or the prototype I have so far) -
Should I show my best stuff (in order to gain fans following the project)?
Should I keep the best stuff in secret?

There are two points to think about:
1. If I show the coolest ideas, they will not surprise the player in the finished game anymore!
2. If I show the coolest ideas, but it takes me more time to finish the game, maybe somebody could copy the ideas.
(there is an argument against that, which is: somebody, who for real puts in the effort to produce a game out of an idea, will most likely have his own ideas and doesnt need to steal them. But it is still a point to consider, i think.)

How should one find the balance between Showing the good stuff VS Not giving away too much?
Whats more important - trying to gain fans or first finishing everything completely, even if it takes time?

Postby fi_le » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:32 pm

fi_le

Alrighty.

I think it's not a very good idea to think about your game like a movie. Unlike it, people will look up what they want to know on reviews, let'splays and walkthroughs as they please. I think you really can't go wrong with something like a project homepage or a steam page; just show what you think is the coolest, no?

I have never been interested in a game that keeps aways the best parts, in fact I'd be hard-pressed to name one that does. Let's consider the best games of recent memory, maybe let's go with Breath of the Wild. The coolest stuff is already in the promotional material! You get to climb freely, you get to explore deserted Hyrule, you get to enjoy this brilliant physics engine, etc.

A satisfying gameplay loop is impossible to spoil and - to go a step further - exellent stories are, too.
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Return to Art Questions and Discussion