Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby hiddenartist2 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:55 am

hiddenartist2

Subject title: Design doll as pose reference, cheating?

Not so much into art, but i want to make a comics, so i need to sketch poses quickly.
Each time i try to sketch a pose from my mind i fuck up all proportions and perspective.
I tried using Design doll and its awesome tool to create poses, i know it also require adding some gesture and anatomy to make it look better.
But the qestion is, i know many artists just trace over models in clip studio paint for example. So i came up with other method, but for me its almost the same as tracing. I just screen pose from Design doll import image into SAI, making landmarks and then draw this pose. Not tracing, but i still feel guilty for myself.

I dont want to fall into same pit with tracing artists, i just dont respect that, but with this almost tracing method feels like double standarts, your opinions?
What's matter is the final result ofcourse, but what is the sense of drawing then, if you are good at coloring and shading, but your cant sketch, how does it matter? You are not a real artist then.

Ofcourse sketching quality and better understanding of perspective and anatomy will come with time and practice, but i want to make quality peaces, atleast not as awfull as i do now. But i cant afford myself just practicing for years without posting any artwork, i want to gather audience and fanbase.

Didnt really tried to refine it or something, just want to know an answer for question that bothering my mind and stops my workflow.

Postby Wb_draws » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:52 pm

Wb_draws

Short answer: it is not cheating. Especially in comics, there is so much stuff to figure out, that it is only natural to look for some shortcuts.

Long answer: it depends what do you really want. I personally think that there is something amazing about being able to draw figures and other things from imagination, so I am generally aiming to be able to do it. I am planning to use references for inspiration and details, rather than a general pose and stuff. If this is not something that inspires you then it is ok. A lot of fine artists seems to be mediocre in drawing from imagination and they are doing just fine artwise (except this one time when Proko tried drawing kangaroo from imagination :D).

The good news is that in order to be able to draw something from imagination you need to draw it from reference a million times anyway. So drawing with design doll will help you in this regard, although I would recommend to also use photos and live drawing if possible.
Last edited by Wb_draws on Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby svarn » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:54 pm

svarn

I see a pretty big problem in the very first sentence you posted. How are you planning on making a comic if you're "not so much into art" ? I don't see how are you going to make yourself do art for several hundreds of hours (or more), if you don't LOVE IT. Perhaps you'd be better of writting a novel, or finding an artist to do the art part. I do art for a living, and I wouldn't touch comics because it's too much art for my liking.

As for your method, personally I don't see the point. If you want to use the doll, then you're just wasting time by doing the landmark thing. Might as well trace it and save time. I wouldn't worry about some imaginary guilt or "true art". Just keep in mind that this is not a very solid solution, the doll doesnt look that good and it won't deliver a proper anatomy once you change the pose. Also if you can't sketch then I highly doubt that you can deliver a quality product, because that's the very basis of your work. Lastly you are risking that on a slim chance your readers might figure it out and they will feel betrayed.

Personally I don't quite understand your logic, you are roasting artists for tracing, but at the same time you are asking us to give you a permission to do something similar. You can do whatever you want.

Postby hiddenartist2 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:31 pm

hiddenartist2

By not so much into art i meant i'm very new into drawing, misspealing mistake.

Postby Audiazif » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:37 am

Audiazif

An audience and fanbase should be the last thing on your mind if you are new to drawing or art.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby azarga » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:34 pm

azarga

Oh crap, let me share some experience in the field, lol.

So, I had this idea of making a simplistic hentai 24 page story for moniezz.
At the time I considered myself to be "rather inexperienced, but with good taste" artist, so I guessed it will be ok - my refined taste will always tell me if something looks bad and I can redraw it. I also didn't want to use references, building figures from imagination.
Let me tell u, it didn't go well. I did the paneling part, but when it came to proper lineart I got stuck on the second, SECOND damn page for MONTHS, pushed through got burned out half year in and scrapped the project altogether had to postpone the project until unspecified time in the brighter future.

Comics is tough shit if you aim for something resembling quality. Roughly sketching in the figures is simple enough, converting that sketch into something that is not deformed disproportional half-paralyzed monstrosities is completely different thing.

Reasonable person would advice working hard and getting gud before starting with comics, but I will just pray for your success to the gods I don't believe in. Good luck with your project, and try not to develop crippling depression while ur at it.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion