Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby LordNoctaeum » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:12 pm

LordNoctaeum

Subject title: Life Drawing and Anxiety

Hey guys I'm thinking of going to a figure drawing session on Friday, I've gone to a couple a long time ago but this time I'm feeling really nervous. This last year has been really rough for me and my self confidence is really low. I have an anxiety disorder and the last two times I tried to go I chickened out at the last minute, I guess i'm just wondering if anyone has any advice or just some words of encouragement. Thanks in advance!

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:46 am

Ambiguity

I know it's never this easy, but try to focus on what's the worst that could happen if you DON'T go rather than if you do. What sort of things can you think of that live figure drawing will help you with that you'll miss out on if you don't go? I heard someone say once that butterflies are memory makers because you tend to remember what happened directly after them, not the stress/anxiety itself, so you should chase those butterflies. The anxiety is probably not going to go away until the event comes and goes, so it's ultimately up to you to pull the trigger and do it regardless of the feeling. If you don't want to live your life with regrets, then you gotta be adamant about doing what you really want to do.

Postby Moe » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:48 am

Moe

There was a period in my life where I was going through social anxiety and honestly the best way to deal with it is to constantly get out of your comfort zone and put yourself in situations where you're forced to interact with people. I've been to life drawing sessions before, and seeing as how most artists are introverted/shy, there won't be much social interaction but sometimes during break time someone might comment on your art. In any case, it's a great way to improve your figure drawing skills and meet some new people. Who knows? Maybe you'll end up meeting a really good friend or a girlfriend there.
Yolo

Postby Josephcow » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:29 am

Josephcow

I was extremely nervous to go to my own life drawing sessions the first few times. Showing up to an intimate gathering where no one really knows you is tough, even if you're not really there to socialize. Do you have any friends that draw? Take one with you. It will be much harder to chicken out, and will be more comfortable going with someone.

Postby cicakkia » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:13 am

cicakkia

Feeling anxiety is normal. It's nothing to be ashame for taking a break sometimes. But i don't mean "taking a break" means you don't have to draw certain of time. That just wrong. If you let say you don't want to draw any figure drawing, draw other things like maybe animal, nature, or even simple object on your surroundings.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion