Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby LK Crown » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:00 pm

LK Crown

Subject title: Exaggerating Beauty !?

On how to draw somebody as a Cartoon character - Fergato gave me the little tip of looking for the key aspects of the person (and for a caricature to exaggerate them).

Now I am wondering about the following:
I know a girl, who, already in real life, is astonishingly beautiful. She has a such beautiful face, that if she enters a room, everybody has to turn their head and be surprised.
I dont have a photo and would not post it on the internet.
I guess one aspect would be symmetry of the face, maybe very soft, female facial features,
but besides that I dont know what exactly makes a face that beautiful.

But what my question is, when somebody is so very beautiful, how do you exaggerate it in a caricature?
You cant for example exaggerate the chin or something, because there are none such prominent features on such a face.

(Is that question answerable without showing a specific case?)
Rational Thought never helped anybody!

Sketchbook:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89727
Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYPlfm6lWQg

Postby Audiazif » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:15 pm

Audiazif

I wouldn't say I'm an expert but a caricature is basically an exaggerated likeness. The key thing is likeness. To get a likeness you need to look closely at the person and find what makes them them. You need to be more "specific". Methods of drawing, for example Loomis, get you a generalization, you need to take that generalization and make it more specific to what you are trying to draw.

LK Crown wrote:I guess one aspect would be symmetry of the face, maybe very soft, female facial features,

You are thinking too broad. Most beautiful people are going to have a symmetrical face and most females have soft features. What you need to think of is what about their features make them unique. Take the nose as an example, is it round or pointy? Is it wide or thin? Does it curve up or down? Does it seem long or short? Do they have a hump on the bridge of their nose. What are the angles of their nose? To get a likeness you will almost have to go through every aspect of the person's face like this.
LK Crown wrote:I dont have a photo

It is going to be really hard to get a likeness of someone without a photo. This could be why you are having trouble coming up with their defining features. You need to be able to look closely at the person to be able to see and get a likeness.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby LK Crown » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:01 pm

LK Crown

Not only the face, whats generally with body measurements -
do you know what it is, that makes (e.g.) a female leg looking more attractive than that of another female?

Sketchbook:
Youtube

Postby azarga » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:33 pm

azarga

How are we supposed to know which females look more attractive to you?

It is largely down to personal preferences.

We could give you the grossly generalized answer along the lines of "almost perfectly symmetrical face, small ears, big eyes, small nose, mouth width equal to distance between eyes, slender neck, shoulders narrower than hips, firm breasts of size B+ to C+, waist narrower than chest , hips slightly wider than shoulders, legs slightly longer than 1/2 of total height, small feet, small hands with long fingers", but that would be completely off mark, if, for example, you prefer really T H I C C women.

You can check Loomis for cookie-cutter "perfect" proportions, which he describes in-depth both why they are appealing AND how to reproduce them in a drawing.
That's about as close to an answer we can give you with the level of information you provide.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby LK Crown » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:39 pm

LK Crown

Hey Azarga, you are still around? very cool! I thought you are not on the forum anymore.

besides that

azarga wrote:How are we supposed to know which females look more attractive to you?

i dont think that attractiveness is 100% subjective.
There are people that are considered `attractive` by many other people at the same time and especially (in this case) there are people, who make all people (men) around them flip out.
I am wondering about why some do and other do not have this effect, and in case of females its about the appearance. There have to be measurements!

Sketchbook:
Youtube

Postby azarga » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:31 pm

azarga

LK Crown wrote:i dont think that attractiveness is 100% subjective.

I never said it was 100% subjective, I said it is largely down to personal preference :)
That being said
LK Crown wrote:There are people that are considered `attractive` by many other people at the same time and especially (in this case) there are people, who make all people (men) around them flip out.

Yes, exactly. For that "generalized" or "mainstream" attractiveness you can use Loomis, or the example I've given initially.
"almost perfectly symmetrical face, small ears, big eyes, small nose, mouth width equal to distance between eyes, slender neck, shoulders narrower than hips, firm breasts of size B+ to C+, waist narrower than chest , hips slightly wider than shoulders, legs slightly longer than 1/2 of total height, small feet, small hands with long fingers"

Keep in mind, that over time and between cultures beauty standards may vary. Sometimes even sickly appearance is considered attractive due to being "more noble". So you have to keep in mind, that "beautiful women" in works of Rembrandt and Michelangelo would have very different physique for example.

LK Crown wrote:There have to be measurements!

Proportions, rather than actual measurements in SI units. See 8-head / 7-head etc. models.

LK Crown wrote:Hey Azarga, you are still around? very cool! I thought you are not on the forum anymore.

I'm mostly present in questions section, where I can potentially be of some use to proper aspiring artists.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby Audiazif » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Audiazif

LK Crown wrote:There have to be measurements!

There probably are exact measurements. The thing is they won't be very useful because it would be a lot of work to get the measurements and in the end you are just drawing, it is not rocket surgery. Do you think great artist get caught up in this sort of thing? I mean they might ask similar questions to this one but it shouldn't and doesn't stop them from making art. Don't over think things and make them more complicated then they really need to be. The head measurements are as specific as you need to get. When you concentrate only on the measurements your drawing will not turn out well, imoe.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby CaptainKiryu » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:41 am

CaptainKiryu

It might not be all about measurements. A person's attractiveness can also be interpreted in a lot of ways that are more non-verbal and less conscious like their personality, posture, pheromones, etc. You can gather evidence on people you find particularly attractive in terms of physical measurements, but trying to apply that alone to your drawings might still leaving you lacking something.
I post art to these places
Twitter: https://twitter.com/captain_kiryu
Deviantart: https://captain-kiryu.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://captainkiryusart.tumblr.com/

Return to Art Questions and Discussion