Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby Wb_draws » Sat May 12, 2018 11:14 am

Wb_draws

Subject title: Brush for inking

So for the last month Ive been playing with pentel pocket brush pen and I really like it. It made me want to try inking with regular brush instead of brush pen, as then I could also play with some different effects (like dry brush). Unfortunately I have no idea what brush should I buy. It seems that industry standard is Winsor Newton Series 7, although those are a bit expensive and, from what Ive heard, they vary in quality greatly. There are also these japanese (chinese?) brushes like kuretake zig cartoonist menso,which are used by manga artist, but some people were saying that they are hard to control. Do you guys (and gals) have any experience with brushes and could recommend something? :) Maybe I should just take the cheapest ones as I dont have any experience?

Thanks for help

Postby Audiazif » Sat May 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Audiazif

I have a W&N series 7 but it has been years since I have used it so I don't remember how the inking experience was. However, I am doing watercolor now and know that natural hair brushes (sables) are going to be softer (and possibly floppier) than synthetic. I wouldn't say natural hair is harder to use but they do require much more finesse and a better awareness of what you are doing and how the brush is reacting.

This really comes down to personal preference. The best brush is the one that works for you. The "industry standard" might not always live up to the hype or even work for you. I would maybe start with a good synthetic to test the waters more without breaking the bank. And if you are curious about natural hair, they do make "synthetic sables" or synthetic and natural hair blended brushes.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Wb_draws » Sun May 13, 2018 10:24 am

Wb_draws

Thanks for the reply :) I will check out synthetic brushes tomorrow at the local art shop, and maybe ask around about those sable brushes. Money isnt that big of an issue for me, I am just little afraid of spending it on something that will not work for me

Postby Oli » Mon May 14, 2018 5:44 pm

Oli

I did use both, synthetic and natural. The sable brushes beat the synthetic in any aspect! The ink flows way better. If you really wanna go hardcore ink, it is money well spent. At the moment I am using a Raphael 8402 and I am in love with it.
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby Wb_draws » Wed May 16, 2018 7:50 am

Wb_draws

Thanks Oli, in the end I bought two natural hair brushes, one cheaper from some german brand (kolibri) and second a little more expensive, japanese brush (kuretake). Surprisingly, I have more control with them than with pentel pocket brush pen, I can get much finer lines and so on. Maybe I bought too small sizes. For now I think I like cheaper brushe more, the issue with this japanese one is that it does not "snap back", meaning that if I push on it on one side it stays a little skewed until I push on it from the other side. On the other hand it seems to give me more line variation, which I like, so maybe I will get use to it. Here is some sample of scribbles and quick sketches

If you guys did some inking, I have another question: how often should I dip my brush in water while inking? For now every time my drush went dry I would dip it into water, then wipe it a little with paper towel, and then dip in ink. Can I just dip it only in ink?

Thanks again :)

Postby Oli » Wed May 16, 2018 10:13 am

Oli

Wb_draws wrote:If you guys did some inking, I have another question: how often should I dip my brush in water while inking? For now every time my drush went dry I would dip it into water, then wipe it a little with paper towel, and then dip in ink. Can I just dip it only in ink?

I guess that depends on your ink. Mine dries pretty quick and sort of clogs the tip of the brush, so I need to clean it every time like you describe.

Wb_draws wrote:Maybe I bought too small sizes.

I have a size "0" and I am happy with it. The line weight deviation is limited, of course. But this way it was the cheapest and I wanted to try a natural brush like you. Maybe one day I get a bigger size, but those are like 40-60€.

Oh, btw, the "snap back" was the most important part for me and also the reason I bought the natural brush. It also maintains a finer tip throughout the inking, so that I have a nice thin-thick control.

Wb_draws wrote:It seems that industry standard is Winsor Newton Series 7, although those are a bit expensive and, from what Ive heard, they vary in quality greatly.

Forgot to say that; I heard the same. That's why I bought the Raphael (it was cheaper than the W&N). But I guess in the end it does not really matter which brand you are using, since they all vary. It is a natural product in the end ;)

Anyways, I hope you enjoy working with them brushes :D
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby Wb_draws » Wed May 16, 2018 9:54 pm

Wb_draws

Oli wrote:
Oh, btw, the "snap back" was the most important part for me and also the reason I bought the natural brush. It also maintains a finer tip throughout the inking, so that I have a nice thin-thick control.

Mine actually holds a very fine tip even when it doesnt snap back, but yeah, this is something I should have researched more ;)

Oli wrote:
Anyways, I hope you enjoy working with them brushes :D

Its been great so far, thanks for the help :)

Return to Art Questions and Discussion