Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Ajumani » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:33 am

Ajumani

Subject title: Drawing realistically before cartoons?

Hello! :D I'm new to this fourm and I have a question thats been on my mind for a while and id like to get some answers/advice. (Since i cant seem to find any good ones on the internet anywhere)

I've heard from a lot of artists mostly on youtube say that its better to start with realistic drawings and then if youd like deviate and stylize however you want.

But since i like drawing more stylized figures its not very enjoyable for me to draw realistic drawings.

but i do know its important to study from real life and learn about the rules before breaking them. Im speaking mostly about the physical action of drawing a realistic face for example

Also it would probably be more appealing to potentional people hiring you for an art related job if lets say... your portfolio had a mix of cartoon and realistic drawings? Im not sure since im not familiar with the art industry but would it be easier to find a job that way?

I'm not sure if this was asked before but id like others opinions about this topic even if just a brief blurb thanks so much!

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Ambiguity

You don't need to draw realistic to be a cartoonist, but you do need to understand life in order to be a great cartoonist; that's where the fundamentals come in. Understanding how things work visually in life is always going to be a requirement because humans are the consumers of art, and so art must have something that communicates to us how we relate to the world(although that doesn't necessarily always have to be the most profound thing). Cartoons are no exception, they simplify certain aspects of life, and exaggerate other parts in order to create a strong caricature of the world. That's a really powerful device for getting emotional responses from people when wielded properly.

Ajumani wrote:Also it would probably be more appealing to potentional people hiring you for an art related job if lets say... your portfolio had a mix of cartoon and realistic drawings? Im not sure since im not familiar with the art industry but would it be easier to find a job that way?
If you're dream is to be a cartoonist, 100% of companies in that field are not going to care that you can render every muscle in the arm from memory. However, if you think you'd like to work on multiple things that aren't necessarily in the same genre, then you can always make multiple portfolios. From what I've heard, if there is a specific studio you'd like to apply to, showing them work that fits what they already do can be a big help in landing a job with them(provided what you're showing matches the quality of the people they already have).

Postby Ajumani » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Ajumani

Ambiguity wrote:You don't need to draw realistic to be a cartoonist, but you do need to understand life in order to be a great cartoonist; that's where the fundamentals come in. Understanding how things work visually in life is always going to be a requirement because humans are the consumers of art, and so art must have something that communicates to us how we relate to the world(although that doesn't necessarily always have to be the most profound thing). Cartoons are no exception, they simplify certain aspects of life, and exaggerate other parts in order to create a strong caricature of the world. That's a really powerful device for getting emotional responses from people when wielded properly.

Ajumani wrote:Also it would probably be more appealing to potentional people hiring you for an art related job if lets say... your portfolio had a mix of cartoon and realistic drawings? Im not sure since im not familiar with the art industry but would it be easier to find a job that way?
If you're dream is to be a cartoonist, 100% of companies in that field are not going to care that you can render every muscle in the arm from memory. However, if you think you'd like to work on multiple things that aren't necessarily in the same genre, then you can always make multiple portfolios. From what I've heard, if there is a specific studio you'd like to apply to, showing them work that fits what they already do can be a big help in landing a job with them(provided what you're showing matches the quality of the people they already have).

Thanks so much for answering it helped a lot! I've always been conflicted about it since again many people have said its ideal to start realistic drawing and work down to cartoons or less realistic styles but i just feel not as motivated to draw anymore when im not drawing what i like. but i do understand learning fundamentals is greatly important. A bit of realistic drawing here and there will definitely help but it makes me feel a bit better knowing i can stil draw how id like to draw :)

Postby silverblaize » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:19 pm

silverblaize

I used to think the same, that wanting to draw cartoons meant to completely skip realistic drawings, but I was wrong.

At the very least, learn human anatomy and gesture drawings. They will help your cartoons to be even better. Even Disney artists do life drawing almost daily to keep their skills sharp. So if you plan on working in cartoons in any form, then you better learn to enjoy it, because you will be doing a lot of it.

I also used to hate it, but over time, learning anatomy and gesture has made me realize how amazing the human body is, and you learn to appreciate it and see the beauty in the body's form and how you can pose it. Now I love drawing realistic bodies, and as a result, my cartoon drawings have benefited from it.

So don't be scared! Start learning and enjoy the ride :D

Postby Ajumani » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:11 pm

Ajumani

silverblaize wrote:I used to think the same, that wanting to draw cartoons meant to completely skip realistic drawings, but I was wrong.

At the very least, learn human anatomy and gesture drawings. They will help your cartoons to be even better. Even Disney artists do life drawing almost daily to keep their skills sharp. So if you plan on working in cartoons in any form, then you better learn to enjoy it, because you will be doing a lot of it.

I also used to hate it, but over time, learning anatomy and gesture has made me realize how amazing the human body is, and you learn to appreciate it and see the beauty in the body's form and how you can pose it. Now I love drawing realistic bodies, and as a result, my cartoon drawings have benefited from it.

So don't be scared! Start learning and enjoy the ride :D

Thank you very much for the encouragement! I wish you the very best on your art journey as well. :D

Return to Art Questions and Discussion