Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby Atellus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:21 pm

Atellus

Subject title: I'm new!

Hello! First of all, I'm really impressed with all of the sketches I've looked through in the sketchbook forum, and the way everyone on this forum seems to want to work and learn how to draw. It seems like a very positive learning environment, so I thought I'd sign up! So anyway, I'm new to the forum and new to drawing, so I have a lot of questions, but I thought I'd introduce myself a little bit first.

I'm a 28 year old medical student and I recently decided I really want to learn how to draw. I used to draw a lot as a kid. All through high school I drew little comics with my friends, but I totally forgot about drawing until just two weeks ago. I was randomly browsing through some Game of Thrones art (there's some killer art on Robert Baratheon dueling Rhaegar Targaryen) and suddenly I thought: how cool would it be if I could draw like that? So I went to YouTube and searched for 'how to draw a knight', grabbed a pen, started copying the guy from the video on my lined, study paper (I had an exam the next day hehe), and have been hooked since! I've bought a sketchbook and some pencils and have been drawing almost every day now, it's really fun! I find it's really relaxing, because when you're drawing you're only focused on drawing and not much else. It's also always a challenge because you never know beforehand if you'll succeed in drawing what you set out to draw. And when you succeed you feel genuine accomplishment. So yeah, what's not to like??

I would like some help on how best to learn though. What I really like is drawing knights, so that's what I would like to learn. Right now I'm basically just copying things. I look through Pinterest or Deviantart, find stuff I like and just start copying it. I'm often quite happy with the results, but it's really just copying someone else's ideas, characters and poses. I want to learn how to design my own knights, with cool poses and armor, etc etc. But how do I get there? Where do I start? How did you guys start? Is what I want to learn called 'character design'?

I saw Sycra's video's on YouTube and thats how I came here. I've seen his video on drawing stick figures with correct proportions, but I feel like it just learned me how to draw THAT figure. I'm not sure how to progress to being able to draw that figure in different poses. Should I just randomly start sketching figures and try to get better at it?

Any tips, pointers or experience from when you were just starting out would be greatly appreciated!

I also thought I'd just add two of my drawings just to give you an idea of what I want to learn to draw. Remember, I just copied these from the internet, but tell me what you think of them anyway!

I'm not sure how to make such quality pictures as everyone seems to have in the sketchbook forum, so I took a picture with my phone. Hope that that is ok!

Knight 2.jpg

Knight 1.jpg

Also the source material:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6kk8r
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Haras

Postby Josephcow » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:17 am

Josephcow

Welcome! I gotta agree Buchyk's knights are pretty awesome. Don't be surprised if it takes a very long time to get to that level.

From your copies I can see that your eye is pretty good, but if you want to be able to design your own it means back to the fundamentals. Constructive drawing, human anatomy, and rendering of form and materials all need to be pretty sharp, to say nothing of design skills and composition. Fortunately you can already draw what you see to a decent extent, in line anyway. I think Sycra's videos would be good to get you started. There are a lot of other artists on youtube that have tutorials as well. That's is how I got started. I'm not much of a concept artist, though.

I know med school is pretty rigorous, but I hope you stick with drawing!

Postby Oli » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Oli

I second what Josephcow said. All I wanna add is that you also might wanna look in light and shadows (falls into the catagory of rendering form). I guess starting of with pencil is also cool. This way you can doodle in any oh so boring lecture ;) And it is cheap. You might wanna invest a couple o' dollas in different pencil though (ranging form hard to soft) to ease creating nice values. And maybe in a good erasor (one kneadable and a "normal" one, almost any will do).

Anything else is practice.

Happy drawing :)
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby Atellus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 pm

Atellus

Thanks for your replies guys!

I agree that I'll just have to practice a lot, but Im now sure WHAT I should practice. Looking through the sketchbooks I came across Xiphor's sketchbook, and I would like to take his sketches as an example (as Im sure there's a LOT more sketchbooks with figures in them). Basically I feel I should be teaching myself how to sketch the figures he sketches on his first page (link:http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39391). But that already looks pretty advanced to me, as I'm really only able to copy what I see right now. How do I get from just copying images, to sketching figures, arms, hands, etc., from imagination? Should I for example just copy a hand over and over again, until I can do it without looking at an actual hand? Is that how it works, how you learn? Replies greatly appreciated!

Also I tried my hand at a little colouring/shading. Tried to give it a bit of metal glint, which worked out in some places ;) (I also ran out of paper on the right side so the left arm is a bit disproportioned).

Knight 3.jpg

(Source: http://www.funnyjunk.com/channel/dungeo ... d0_6225975)

Postby DarkLored123 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:34 pm

DarkLored123

Form and perspective are your best friends, so practicing them should be one of your main priorities as without them the rest of the drawing will just remain flat and boring. Drawing boxes, cylinders, cones, etc... from different viewing angles can train your eye to see perspective, there plenty of tutorials on perspective and form out there so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what to do. You definitely don't want to start with figures though, I've seen many people take this approach in the past and quite frankly a lot of fail to make a decent sketch in perspective with proper proportions and so on.

Here are some useful resources:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiU1-5 ... ScuABAJC4A
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvM8sI ... Q4nq5mYCTw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_W9sZ8 ... 2fwOxR6Zn6

Hope this helped, the way you practice doesn't matter as long as you practice the right things in the most realistic order.

Postby Josephcow » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:22 am

Josephcow

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0660Fuih7qo
It's a method of reconstructing the body instead of just copying the shapes and angles that you see (also a very needed skill). Though I do have to agree with DarkLored, that some basic forms should be practiced.

The reason is if you want to draw from imagination, you need to break the body down into simpler forms, and learn the structures. But if you can't draw a box in perspective to a reasonable degree, methods like the Bean and Robo-Bean from Proko's videos probably wont work. I say probably because I don't know where you're at and it doesn't hurt to give it a try!

BTW tip for your recent drawing. You can make little marks on the page showing the boundaries of the figure or object you're drawing and then proportion your drawing to fit in the boundaries so that it never goes off the page. I actually start all my drawings on paper by marking the top and bottom of the object. If it's a whole scene, I draw a rectangle that the composition will stay inside (mostly).

Postby Atellus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Atellus

Thanks for your tips and advice guys!

That clip on shapes and forms by Swatches actually made a lot of sense to me (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBya_2G ... Ga&index=3)! I agree that drawing/practicing figures seems too advanced for me at the moment. I'm drawing cilinders, cubes and cones right now. I'm actually having fun with it as well, because it's surprisingly challenging. It also immediately made me look at my room completely different. Suddenly there's just different angled cubes and cilinders everywhere!

Anyway, thanks, I'm off to draw some cubes 8-)

Return to Art Questions and Discussion