Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby coastal cabin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:14 am

coastal cabin

Subject title: Style vs Critique

Hey,
So recently on my page i asked for critiques on my art. One person said that my style just wasn't aestheticly pleasing since i tend to draw people with associated unattractive features such as small eyes, big noses and bushy eyebrows.
I understand that the excuse "its just my style" shouldnt be used but when is it truly a style problem vs needing to improve?

Postby Moe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:36 am

Moe

coastal cabin wrote:Hey,
So recently on my page i asked for critiques on my art. One person said that my style just wasn't aestheticly pleasing since i tend to draw people with associated unattractive features such as small eyes, big noses and bushy eyebrows.
I understand that the excuse "its just my style" shouldnt be used but when is it truly a style problem vs needing to improve?

There is no such thing as a bad style, there are only bad fundamentals. Small eyes, big noses, bushy eyebrows, long arms, short legs, crooked eyes, literally anything can work if you have a proper understanding of your fundamentals.

Postby Mandilor » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:30 am

Mandilor

What Moe said but it also sounds like you didn't get a critique really; at least not a useful one. Critiquing something as not being aesthetically pleasing isn't a constructive critique its more of an opinion or a review. A good critic will help you improve your image without changing the aesthetic of the piece.

Admittedly this is pretty tricky for the critique to as it is impossible to know what the original artist had in mind when they tried to make the piece. There is also the part where an artist can have an idea of what they want to do but it's just a bad idea. One of the ways we get better at art is we get better at judging which of our ideas are good and which are bad. This is why it's a wise move to dismiss critiques with the excuse "it's my style". Well that and some people use that excuse because they're lazy and don't want to be called out on it.

I don't remember if I've seen your work or not. With that in mind I'll give you a fair warning that you can have odd and unusual proportions but they can still be wrong within they're own standard even if that standard isn't normal. Put another way you can have what look like "wrong" proportions that are correct/good but you can also have "wrong" proportions that are incorrect. Having "wrong" proportions can be even trickier than normal sometimes because it can be more difficult to pin point what you're doing wrong and need to fix.

Postby Kam » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:39 pm

Kam

You didn't get a critique, it was just an opinion and opinions matter as much as you want to care about them.

The best practice I can think of aside from learning your perspective, anatomy, lighting, etc which everyone constantly says it's really good to observe other artists and see what they're doing, what looks appealing to you? what are they doing that you like? how are they doing it? what have they learned to do it? is it their shapes, forms, colors? you can find direction on what fundamentals and specific subjects (like facial features, clothing, backgrounds, etc) to put more time on and practice to get better that way. at the end what matters is you liking what you do and getting closer to whatever your goal(s) are.

So with all that said it's not a bad idea to get in the habit of stalking other artists, not in a creepy weirdo way but more like trying to figure out how they do what they do.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion