Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Ambiguity, virtueone

 

Postby everfae » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:56 am

User avatar
  everfae
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:20 am
Location: England

Subject title: Does anyone get really insecure about their age?

So in the past the internet I wouldn't have minded saying something like "Hey, I'm Olivia, I'm 15 and here's my art!"

But I'm a bit older now and I try to hide my age online as much as possible, because there are loads of artists younger than me doing better than me that I feel kind of shameful and insecure about it. Like I have that feeling "You're that old, you should be better than that by now!" but then, if no one knows my age.. no one can judge me..!

Being younger I feel like mistakes or inconsistencies in your art are more forgivable, or if you are already amazing, people will be like "Wow! You're that young? You're so good!"
One thing though, it's important to keep in mind ALWAYS that everyone has their own pace, and improves on their own timeline. Some people are faster than others. Some people have more time than others - i try to remember this whenever I see a younger artist or a similar aged artists fuckin' killing it! Still, I would never put my age unless absolutely necessary. Stupid fear of judgement and inadequacy.

Who relates?
you can call me flower if you want to
instagram
my sketchbook

 

Postby Josephcow » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:24 pm

User avatar
  Josephcow
Posts: 576
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:46 pm

I know what you're saying but I kind of hide age for the opposite reason. I'm 20 and I feel like I'm not going to be taken seriously unless I am perceived as older. I was once working with someone online without telling each other our age and I thought he was about 16 and he thought I was like 30. Turned out we were both 20 :lol:

But I think it's worthwhile to hide your age as a student. Like you said when you are a young artist you will get a lot of comments like "oh wow you are so good for your age". Well I don't want to be good for a child, I want to just be good, y'know? So if nobody knows how old you are you will get feedback just like anyone else. The downside is you'll probably get less praise, but at least people will look at your art for what it is, not your age.

And remember: on the internet nobody knows you're a dog.
Spoiler: show
STEINERinternetdogs.jpg

 

Postby azarga » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:08 pm

User avatar
  azarga
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 11:14 pm

I'm hiding my age on most art related sites for this reason exactly.

People are used to pro- grade artists as young as 16-17, so if one is older than that their artwork should be damn good, obviously.
So I ended up not revealing my age publicly. I get fewer condescending praise this way.

For the same reason I try not to use words "artist" and "art" when I have to speak about myself or things I make. Unfortunately "I make crappy drawings" uses way more characters than "i do art", very uneconomic, it makes me sad.

And I still unconsciously cling to believes I was raised upon, like "adults should be ashamed if they have to learn something new past age 25 - they are incompetent", "you are either skilled at skill from childhood or you shouldn't even try it" and the ultimate "the most important quality of a person is what others think of them" (thanks, mom).
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.
My sketchbook (which I no longer update, so check my dA, lol)

 

Postby Kam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:08 pm

User avatar
  Kam
Posts: 609
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:08 pm

Well yeah, but I can't do anything about it so what's the point of wasting too much mental energy on it? it's inevitable that sometimes it really gets to me but I just have to remind myself that it is what it is, I don't deserve any better when I was wasting my entire free time on nonsense and didn't learn any skills as I grew up.

I've seen plenty of artists that progressed slowly or started out late (or both) but still eventually got good, it's all about perseverance at the end, but I can't deny that the self doubt ruins me really badly often.

 

Postby Fantelle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:16 pm

User avatar
  Fantelle
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:00 pm
Location: Belgium

    Absolutely. I guess I'm still young, but I feel so incredibly old compared to younger and better artists :S
    I guess it's important to realize that it doesn't matter which age you started or are now but how much work you're currently putting in every day.

 

Postby Alpacky » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:41 am

User avatar
  Alpacky
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: Massachusetts US

I have my age in my bio, and, maybe in my sketchbook somewhere? I dont know.
I would be more insecure if I was 30 or something, cause then people might have higher expectations.
Even though, it doesn't matter what your age is, it matters how much you've drawn in that time, its nice to sometimes use it as a scapegoat, even though I know I shouldn't

Speaking of all of this.
Your a year younger, and your better than I am in many ways
quick example ;) of how that can work in your benefit. Color me impressed :)


I judge people based on the way they write online. I know I've always been mistaken for being older than I am (In real life, atleast. im a more of a, "child" on the internet, where I don't have to worry as much about being... emotionally intelligent? I dunno.) so I understand where the whole age thing gets confusing in place with adults.

Dont worry about your age. Especially if your young.
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 6) http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

 

Postby everfae » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:53 pm

User avatar
  everfae
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:20 am
Location: England

Josephcow wrote:But I think it's worthwhile to hide your age as a student. Like you said when you are a young artist you will get a lot of comments like "oh wow you are so good for your age". Well I don't want to be good for a child, I want to just be good, y'know? So if nobody knows how old you are you will get feedback just like anyone else. The downside is you'll probably get less praise, but at least people will look at your art for what it is, not your age.



Yes, this! Age shouldn't have to matter, and everyone should be judged on their art, not relative to their age. I feel like younger artists in their early to mid teens like to put their age because in ways its part of the "subculture" of being a very young, very skilled artist on the internet and it's a marker of belonging to something. I think I felt this way when I was in my early teens, though I wasn't ever as good as my peers I plastered "I'm 13 and I like to draw!" everywhere. The "You're good for your age" comments made me feel good, but now it's just put me in the wrong sort of mindset. These days I am so so careful not to mention my age in any art community, or even beyond that. Stupid fear of being "found out".

azarga wrote:I'm hiding my age on most art related sites for this reason exactly.

People are used to pro- grade artists as young as 16-17, so if one is older than that their artwork should be damn good, obviously.
So I ended up not revealing my age publicly. I get fewer condescending praise this way.

For the same reason I try not to use words "artist" and "art" when I have to speak about myself or things I make. Unfortunately "I make crappy drawings" uses way more characters than "i do art", very uneconomic, it makes me sad.

And I still unconsciously cling to believes I was raised upon, like "adults should be ashamed if they have to learn something new past age 25 - they are incompetent", "you are either skilled at skill from childhood or you shouldn't even try it" and the ultimate "the most important quality of a person is what others think of them" (thanks, mom).


I'm glad you can relate, and I'm also sorry you feel this way as well.
One thing about calling yourself an artist, I was the exact same as you and would never call myself an artist, because I felt like it was insult to those artists who could actually.. y'know... make good art. But if you never even attempt to call yourself an artist and own that label with some confidence, how could you ever see anything you draw as worthy? If you're a crappy drawing maker, that's all your art will ever come to even though you may be very skilled and stuff. I think calling yourself an "artist" can be hard, but an necessary step in gaining more confidence in yourself. Own your shit!

It's something I still struggle with but I am getting a little more comfortable with calling myself an artist, even though i still sometimes feel fraudulent and it's accompanied with thought's of inadequacy. It feels good to say - "I am an artist."

Kam wrote:Well yeah, but I can't do anything about it so what's the point of wasting too much mental energy on it? it's inevitable that sometimes it really gets to me but I just have to remind myself that it is what it is, I don't deserve any better when I was wasting my entire free time on nonsense and didn't learn any skills as I grew up.

I've seen plenty of artists that progressed slowly or started out late (or both) but still eventually got good, it's all about perseverance at the end, but I can't deny that the self doubt ruins me really badly often.


The self-doubt eats at me everyday. I'm not sure how to combat it other than just fuckin picking up that pen/pencil! It will always be there, but I have to ignore it and work through it anyway.

Alpacky wrote:I have my age in my bio, and, maybe in my sketchbook somewhere? I dont know.
I would be more insecure if I was 30 or something, cause then people might have higher expectations.
Even though, it doesn't matter what your age is, it matters how much you've drawn in that time, its nice to sometimes use it as a scapegoat, even though I know I shouldn't

Speaking of all of this.
Your a year younger, and your better than I am in many ways
quick example ;) of how that can work in your benefit. Color me impressed :)


I judge people based on the way they write online. I know I've always been mistaken for being older than I am (In real life, atleast. im a more of a, "child" on the internet, where I don't have to worry as much about being... emotionally intelligent? I dunno.) so I understand where the whole age thing gets confusing in place with adults.

Dont worry about your age. Especially if your young.


You're still very very young, and one of those in the age bracket I was talking about, the early to late teens. But even at 16 I felt this way - looking at other 16 year olds and feeling like shit. Yeah I can't use my age as a scapegoat anymore hahaha. But as mentioned earlier, it shouldn't ever matter. Let people judge your art based on your art, when I was younger, I wish I had. I wish I had hidden my age and not used it as a scapegoat!

God I sound old.
you can call me flower if you want to
instagram
my sketchbook

 

Postby azarga » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:10 pm

User avatar
  azarga
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 11:14 pm

@everfae
Good stuff
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.
My sketchbook (which I no longer update, so check my dA, lol)

 

Postby snisetski » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:11 pm

User avatar
  snisetski
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:43 pm

You know what, that's very true. So you can use it for good or to feel miserable. If you are confident and strong enough, tell people you are older (maybe older than you really are) and you'll get more harsh criticism. If you feel harsh criticism gets you fired up and do even better than usual, that's good! But if it makes you feel insecure, as you say it does, don't even bother! I mean, you aren't obliged to reveal true information about yourself on the Internet. I understand that your age is something you can't change even if you hide it but what I'm trying to tell you is, no one cares if you don't mention your age and in the same way, you shouldn't care about you being inferior to younger people than you because there will always be someone better than you out there, regardless of age or any other criteria. You do you! Try to beat them. Don't let tiny details like age bring you down. If anything, let them get you fired up to do the best you can!

 

Postby Oli » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:35 am

User avatar
  Oli
Posts: 2607
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:26 pm
Location: Bruxelles

Ha, age and its perception is something of a strange thing. When you are young, you can't wait to be a grown up to do all the stuff you are not allowed to do. Once you are old, all you want is to be young again in order to do all the stuff you where able to do when you where still child :) I guess all I wanna say is, that you are never the right age if you let it happen!
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

 

Postby naundeeey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:51 pm

User avatar
  naundeeey
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:11 am

Age is something I would be concerned with if I were a boxer.

I'm 21 and my art is still crap but I just keep learning and I'm dead sure that I'll improve. Thats what I do, thats kinda my advice for you ^^

 

Postby rockmor » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:35 am

User avatar
  rockmor
Posts: 1311
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:34 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia

Hm, I never thought about age thing in terms of what other people could say. That's actually strange, because I usually am very conscious about opinions.
The only thing that makes me sad about my age is not even that I have started drawing pretty late, but that I have spent so much time of my artistic life not in very efficient ways.
And so here I am, only now starting to get some little money, still living with parents, not so good at art and turning 27 :)
But what I tell myself is that no matter what, I am going to make it, and time goes on anyway, so I better learn from my mistakes and do some art at that moment rather then thinking about what I can't change.

 

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:12 pm

  DarkLored123
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:18 pm

I can relate to what you say, I am 17 years old and even though I am not really ashamed of my age I was using it to talk myself down from improvement in the past, being self-conscious of your age and comparing it to others will only lead to anxiety. Don't bother thinking about people judging you, if anyone seriously takes their time to try and bring you down they are just jealous that you took the step to do something with your time that they want to do as well. The time you think about your insecurities could be spent on achieving greater skill levels.


Return to Art Questions and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron