Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby Alpacamood » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:05 am

Alpacamood

Subject title: wacom nibs grind down too fast?

hey everyone! i wanted to know if anyone else has the same problem i do and if there's a way to fix it. i've had an intuous pro since late december of last year ( ya know, christmas time) and ive gone through four standard nibs already. i've read around other places and heard some people say it takes them 3+ months till they feel like they need to replace their nib. i know this isnt a pressure thing either becasue i have pretty decent pressure control traditionally and im definitely not scratching down like a caveman carving into rocks lol... do you think its normal? is there a way to conserve nibs??? please help!

Postby Audiazif » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:58 am

Audiazif

I can't think of anything other than pressure to be the culprit. It is not about control of pressure, it is what pressure you have set for the "full on". I also suppose the program you use may be a tiny factor because it could have pressure settings as well.
I would look into tweaking you pressure settings. Mainly the max pressure needed to be "full on", It is set too high in the default setting I believe.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Cheecken » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Cheecken

Nibs grind down due to the surface of the tablet, is is really rough, because having a completely smooth surface (like glass) feels strange to draw on apperently. So that nibs get used up is normal, maybe you are pressuring the stylus too much. You can always change the pressure sensitivity in the control panel I guess, so you don't have to press down too much. I also pressure my stylus quite a bit, but I have my bamboo for a while now and still don't need to change it
Add me on Steam you little gardening tool, or female dog
http://steamcommunity.com/id/chaycken/

Postby azarga » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:56 pm

azarga

Alpacamood wrote: do you think its normal?

As mentioned above, it is normal, it is a side effect of Wacom's "paper-feel" tablet surface which works a bit like fine sand-paper.

Alpacamood wrote: is there a way to conserve nibs??? please help!

You can tape regular office paper on top of ur tablet's work surface. It won't affect tablet's performance in any way, but will prevent surface scratching (which some people seem to experience) and slow down nibs wear (given u use smooth paper).

IIRC Pro uses same nibs as Bamboo, which is just a thin plastic rod. So u can just replace them with improvised nibs made of toothpicks. Just cut a piece of toothpick to the length similar to wacom's nib and work it a bit on fine sand-paper from all sides, also rounding one tip. Wooden nibs wear off significantly slower and I personally preferred how they felt on my tablet.
Or just order spare nibs from China. Don't buy from Wacom, they charge crazy $$ for simple pieces of plastic. Or do, it's ur money after all.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.
My sketchbook (which I no longer update, so check my dA, lol)

Postby svarn » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:15 pm

svarn

Yep its pretty much as mentioned above. It's another cash grab on the side of wacom (the price of 5 plastic toothpicks for 13$+ is just insulting).
Mine were getting significantly slanted after around 3 days of drawing. Right now I just draw on top of ~5 sheets of paper that lie on my tablet.
It's rather annoying as the paper gets dirty and you have to change it pretty frequently, and it can get in the way every now and then. But at least I don't scratch the tablet, as I've been drawin with worn out nib for months now.

People will keep telling you that you press to hard, but don't listen to that crap, I've played with settings 100 times, and tried drawing by barely smudging the surface (which kept braking my lines since there is a minimum pressure that tablet can read) and it still didnt make a difference. It's just a faulty product.

Postby Fantelle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Fantelle

lol i've used the same wacom nib for 4 years i have no idea what y'all are talking about xD

Postby azarga » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:50 pm

azarga

Fantelle wrote:lol i've used the same wacom nib for 4 years i have no idea what y'all are talking about xD

Good for u, I guess?
Some things just serve way longer than their brethren. I used to have that pair of work boots that I wore for 6 years (except winters). When they finally succumbed to their fate, I got same model from same manufacturer. Barely lasted year and a half under same stress.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.
My sketchbook (which I no longer update, so check my dA, lol)

Postby naundeeey » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:31 pm

naundeeey

I agree with the guys above. It's just planned obsolescence (or something like that).

I had (or still have?) the same problem with the nibs wearing down WAY too fast.
So I bought some kinda plastic sheet from amazon and put it on top of my intuos pro. Nib is used for several months now, barely worn down!
Yeah, drawing kinda feels smooth but I'm okay with that.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion