Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Fantelle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:12 am

Fantelle

Subject title: need a second pair of eyes

is there anything blatantly off about this piece? or things you would change if you were working on it?

Image Image

my own conclusion is the hand and clothing needs some work, so that's what i'll get to next, but i feel like im missing the big picture >.>

put the sketch next to it to show the initial idea ,, i guess it just emphasizes how much energy was lost in rendering but alright lol

Postby Alpacky » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Alpacky

watch out for the form of the legs.
the leg in the sketch is much better drawing wise.
proportions wise her arm and head are the same length roughly (not counting the hand).
I get its stylized but something to consider.
Mainly the original sketch is simple and flat, cause it seems you were focusing more on ideas that fundamentals, and you drew something more realistic ontop of a 2d smiley face.

Try drawing out the forms in your sketches.
Yeah I agree about the clothing. It changes material, sometimes silk like, sometimes metal (in the way it moves not the actual "look")
I LOVE the colors, and the idea is adorable.
Work on the Drawing underneath, and incorporate time for definition of the forms of her face into your sketch phase.

you drew the bears body/face out in the original sketch, and, thus, the bears face has good form in the final piece! :D

This is my best guess.
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby Fantelle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Fantelle

Alpacky wrote:watch out for the form of the legs.
the leg in the sketch is much better drawing wise.
proportions wise her arm and head are the same length roughly (not counting the hand).
I get its stylized but something to consider.
Mainly the original sketch is simple and flat, cause it seems you were focusing more on ideas that fundamentals, and you drew something more realistic ontop of a 2d smiley face.

Try drawing out the forms in your sketches.
Yeah I agree about the clothing. It changes material, sometimes silk like, sometimes metal (in the way it moves not the actual "look")
I LOVE the colors, and the idea is adorable.
Work on the Drawing underneath, and incorporate time for definition of the forms of her face into your sketch phase.

you drew the bears body/face out in the original sketch, and, thus, the bears face has good form in the final piece! :D

This is my best guess.

Thank you lots, you have some very valid points. You're actually not the first one to say "I attempt to draw realism/form
    over 2D sketches", shame on me for having to hear it twice. Thank you so much for your feedback, I'll get to work!

Postby Spider » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:27 pm

Spider

I don't know if the bear is just a cub, but the size of the girl compared to the size of the bear is a little off putting. I kinda just assumed that a bear that's big enough to ride would be a full grown bear. Maybe you could just make the muzzle of the bear smaller so it looks cuter and younger? Or just make the girl smaller.

I don't know, I just think the size of the bear and girl together is a little off. I love the trees in the background though. Really pretty colors as well.

Return to Critique This!