Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Sic » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:31 pm

Sic

Subject title: Advice on fantasy creatures?

Can I get some tips? Any anatomy/ final render advice on how I can push a made up fantasy figure?

https://i.imgur.com/ntRvt3L.jpg

Postby warm-wax » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:35 pm

warm-wax

very cute! She is very sweet and quite expressive.

Even though your style is quite cartoony, I think you should study more animal anatomy, particularly birds. I would just draw a large amount of bird heads/wings and do studies on areas that you struggle with. References are easy to find if you stalk deviantart or pintrest, and it shouldn't take more than a couple weeks to see solid improvement.

Similarly, this character's arms/wings are quite close to their chest. moving the elbows away from their sides makes drawings look much less stiff. This drawing also reminds me a little of the sort of non-pose I always draw when I haven't really decided which pose to go with before drawing? If that's the case then I would set up a pose before hand by thumbnailing, and try to express her personality through her body language.

Clothing could also use some work. It is hard to tell where the sleeves of her costume end, as they follow the shape of the feathers for some reason. I would also look at references of hoods and add some appropriate wrinkles. Think about how heavy/thick the material is.

Overall, her design is very sweet and distinctive. Particularly if her beak, which I assume is a toucan's, were coloured, I think she would be quite striking. I adore the expressions she has in the top of the ref, they're so evocative and endearing.

Postby Sic » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:55 pm

Sic

Wow, holy crap thank you so much that means a lot. I almost abandoned the whole idea until I saw this so I went back.

I tried taking some of your advice and apply it and add to the design. What should I improve and work on from here? I wanna make sure I get the sketch part right before doing a final render.

https://i.imgur.com/KadJxaf.jpg

Postby warm-wax » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:52 pm

warm-wax

Wow that's a really big improvement!! The clothes are much better, and the colour scheme works really nicely together. Again, I really like the range of expression she shows and the costume design is very cool.

I have two suggestions. The first is that I would make the cloak and the beak less saturated. This would make them less vibrant, and they'd fit in a lot better with any background you choose to draw, and it might fit better with the rest of her too. Its also personal taste, I think it would look better.

The second is that the breasts are maybe a little too large, and too separated. Clothe does not usually hug the outline of the breasts that much unless they are skin tight or cut in such a way to be very form fitting, neither of which really match with a cloak aesthetic. here are some refs of bag straps between breasts.

Overall though, I really like it. It looks like the sort of character that might be selling you healing potions just before a dungeon. A cool, quirky design that sells even without a back story. Good job!

Return to Critique This!