Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Rotten Muffin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:01 pm

Rotten Muffin

Subject title: Critique on this Day of the Dead inspired painting?

I'm mostly worried about the water effects and coloring of anything that is not the girl. My main problem is my monitor, it sucks. Paintings look way different in my monitor than in my cellphone or other monitors. Stuff is way desaturated in my monitor.

https://imgur.com/a/iyy4f
Expotecnia sycra.jpg

Postby goago » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:40 pm

goago

i feel like the colours dont really work that well, the blue is probably too saturated. also, water usually does not get that blue unless there is a blue underground. and the waves also dont just get white because of reasons u just gotta look up reference. if u want to make a colour pop u best use a complementary colour that is very desaturated, so if u want to make the orange pop, use a desaturated blue
As for the rest, the shoulders look kinda awkward so you know what to do.. study anatomy and reference. Also the lightning could be better.. so do formstudys..

but i actually really like this painting and have fun finishing it.

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:07 am

Bugpal Hopeday

Cool painting. I think the values in the cheeks could be lightened up a little, my eyes were drawn to that area of the painting for some reason. Darker values make it seem more concave to me. I did a quick paintover, hope you don't mind.

And yeah seconding a desaturated blue.
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Postby KitKat » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:39 pm

KitKat

Please dont be afraid to use references. Either use your own pictures or study other photos before creating your art piece. Research is contributes to a large percentage(i.e concept, composition,mood)of the finished product.

ad0b01ca485f1288d134dc6dd908bcf1.jpg
Ref 1

IMG_20171104_193725.jpg
Reference 2

Postby pukrolli » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:33 am

pukrolli

:D I think it's a lovely painting. Very interesting concept! In terms of critiques, everything has pretty much been addressed already.

In terms of your monitor, I think it'd be a good idea to invest in a new one if/when you can, because it definitely makes a difference in your art! I used to have a pretty bad monitor that made everything appear desaturated, which made me pick super saturated colours to compensate for it, otherwise the colours looked really, really pale. That's probably what's happening to you too.

Return to Critique This!