Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby KeaneFox » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:07 am

KeaneFox

Subject title: A robot and skeleton. How to finish it.

Hi
I've been working on this for the last month on and off. I want to finish it, I didn't know what to do next. Part of me thinks that I should keep working on it and figure it out. Or maybe I should just seek help.

The idea is. A robot walking around stumbles on a skeleton.
I got it pretty close to what I had in mind. The horizon line, the fame, robot body. I'm not sure about.
But it's good enough for now. I want to start rendering but don't know how to go about that.

Thumps
Wong 4 700.jpg

Wong 56 500y.jpg

The finale sketch. Not sure one or two.
Wg 1 999.JPG

Wong 2 999.JPG

values
Wg Valuss 900.JPG

I'll take feedback on anything. Mostly on how to push it to the finish line.

Postby Audiazif » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:34 pm

Audiazif

There are many different ways to go. I don't believe you when you say you don't know how to start rendering. I looked in your sketchbook and there are some paintings in there. Why can't you start like you did in those paintings?

KeaneFox wrote:I'll take feedback on anything.

The robot is not in perspective with everything else. You will see the bottom of things above the horizon line and the top of things when they are below the horizon line. The way the robot is drawn right now in the final sketch is as if the horizon was at around the robot's eyes because of how the lines converge if drawing from the primitive forms and how you are seeing the "tops" of things up to about the middle of the head. You need to redraw the robot so it has vanishing points on or based on the horizon you established.

For the values I would try to work them out in the thumbnail stage, work very zoomed out, or squint. This way you will be able to catch things before you invest significant amounts of time to a piece. In the values you have now the skeleton blends into the background and doesn't stand out as much as I would assume you would want it to.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:04 pm

DarkLored123

Audiazif wrote:There are many different ways to go. I don't believe you when you say you don't know how to start rendering. I looked in your sketchbook and there are some paintings in there. Why can't you start like you did in those paintings?

KeaneFox wrote:I'll take feedback on anything.

The robot is not in perspective with everything else. You will see the bottom of things above the horizon line and the top of things when they are below the horizon line. The way the robot is drawn right now in the final sketch is as if the horizon was at around the robot's eyes because of how the lines converge if drawing from the primitive forms and how you are seeing the "tops" of things up to about the middle of the head. You need to redraw the robot so it has vanishing points on or based on the horizon you established.

For the values I would try to work them out in the thumbnail stage, work very zoomed out, or squint. This way you will be able to catch things before you invest significant amounts of time to a piece. In the values you have now the skeleton blends into the background and doesn't stand out as much as I would assume you would want it to.

Just wanted to comment on that statement regarding perspective. While it is true that whatever is above the horizon line is going to show it's bottom plane, you need to consider the rule that states that "objects that are facing at a different direction, will have their own vanishing points" which implies that they have a sub-perspective. Humans are livings beings, they can move, so it wouldn't make much sense to follow the rule if the robot for example is looking at the skeleton because his head will bend down causing his top plane to reveal itself regardless of the fact that it is above the horizon line, it has it's own sub perspective that it follows and this applies to every single object that is not following the same direction the rest of the objects are. You can easily prove what I just said with basic observation from low angles that have the human figures bending, you'd often times see that the orientation of the object that faces a different direction does not follow the primary horizon line. The human figure simply isn't a single unit, and following the perspective rules too literally will impose limitations.

Just wanted to clear that up since it can mislead author of the topic.

Okay as for the critique:

I don't know if the robot is actually looking at the skeleton, but if it were your intention then you might want to change the orientation of the head slightly so it looks right at the skeleton since it looks like he is looking to the left and not directly at the skeleton. You can check where an object is facing by drawing a straight line through it's midsection, if it intersects with the skeleton that means the orientation is correct. As for values if the skeleton is the main focus of the piece I recommend having most of the darker values aimed at the foreground and the lighter values on the midground and background.

Rendering takes time, and is a very broad question since there are many ways to go about it. I recommend to simply experiment.

Postby Audiazif » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:42 am

Audiazif

@DarkLored123- I did say "redraw the robot so it has vanishing points on or based on the horizon you established.". Meaning the vps can be anywhere on the horizon, as long as they agree with the rules of perspective, and even if an object is not in 1pt or 2pt perspective the vps have to be based off the horizon. The bending of the head doesn't account for the other inaccuracies.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby KeaneFox » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:51 pm

KeaneFox

So should decide the horizon line then make the perspective of the object relate to it.
DarkLored123 point is that it's not always like that. Which I agree with both of you. I will redraw the robot.

Thank you, guys.
I might update how this going in two weeks or a month. If it goes well.

Return to Critique This!