Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Kittycat2017 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Kittycat2017

Subject title: Lauren's first oil painting! :D

Hi! I'm new to this website so I apologize if there are any mistakes.
This was just a quick painting for me to try out some oil paints. I am looking for some feedback on the proportions and the use of color. I realize the background, leaves, and flowers aren't very detailed but they aren't what i'm worried about. I'd like to know your thoughts on how to properly mix skin tones, I feel like a lot of this painting is kind of grey-brown and it doesn't look life like. I also wanted to experiment with different hues of color in the skin but I didn't get around to it, i was too afraid to try haha. I would also like to know what you guys think about the proportions. I feel like the chest, forehead, lips, and back area are a little wonky.
Any feedback is appreciated! thanks for taking the time to look at this c:
unnamed.jpg

Postby nachobuddy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:56 pm

nachobuddy

I love this for a lot of reasons- manily that his face is unique! Every time someone dares to make something other than a button nose a fairy is born :lol:

I'm not the biggest expert in skin tones, but I think it's looking very good with varied with blues and greens! Where I'm seeing most of the error is with the neck and the back of the head. The neck is very long, which I think is the cause of it looking slightly "off" as it's kind of a long slope down his neck, and sort of disconnecting the head from the body. It could just be the hair, but it seems like the back of the head is curving in too low too, as the back of the head and the jawline usually matches up. I'll throw you a reference here https://i.pinimg.com/736x/0f/58/72/0f58 ... orials.jpg I find this very helpful when sketching out a head :D

Other than that, I'd need a lending hand from the clapping emoji to express my love for this :!:

Postby Kittycat2017 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Kittycat2017

nachobuddy wrote:I love this for a lot of reasons- manily that his face is unique! Every time someone dares to make something other than a button nose a fairy is born :lol:

I'm not the biggest expert in skin tones, but I think it's looking very good with varied with blues and greens! Where I'm seeing most of the error is with the neck and the back of the head. The neck is very long, which I think is the cause of it looking slightly "off" as it's kind of a long slope down his neck, and sort of disconnecting the head from the body. It could just be the hair, but it seems like the back of the head is curving in too low too, as the back of the head and the jawline usually matches up. I'll throw you a reference here https://i.pinimg.com/736x/0f/58/72/0f58 ... orials.jpg I find this very helpful when sketching out a head :D

Other than that, I'd need a lending hand from the clapping emoji to express my love for this :!:

Thank you so much for your input i really appreciate it! :D

Return to Critique This!