Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Ibyville » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:28 am

Ibyville

Subject title: Gesture critiques pls!

Could you tell me your thoughts about what I can improve on my gestures please?

What I need is to know your opinion about whether I'm depending too much on the contours.

Postby Ab Captain » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:43 am

Ab Captain

If by contours you mean the outline of the figure, then I don't see why dependence on contours would be negative. As long as you portray motion convincingly in your gesture drawings it shouldn't be an issue.
Also I would suggest to accentuate the rhythm of a posing figure, just to fully grasp the pose and make it less static.
Most of them are very good gesturally, nice work!
Tear my art to shreds (Preferably constructively)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90773

Postby Ibyville » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Ibyville

Ab Captain wrote:If by contours you mean the outline of the figure, then I don't see why dependence on contours would be negative. As long as you portray motion convincingly in your gesture drawings it shouldn't be an issue.
Also I would suggest to accentuate the rhythm of a posing figure, just to fully grasp the pose and make it less static.
Most of them are very good gesturally, nice work!

What happens is that for this exercise I wanted to focus more on the abstract than on drawing what I see, since in the tutorial I saw that maybe copying contours could capture some gestures accidentally, but it is not the most effective method.

I will try to pick up the rhythm using less lines, and if once again reviewing some poses are fairly static I have to correct them.

Thank you!

Postby Kaique » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:26 am

Kaique

Ok, first of all, good effort, these are not bad at all, you did capture movement in many of them, but let me try to explain something to you about gesture drawing etc (i used to be obsessed about it).

I think that the biggest thing about gesture drawing is that, its the last boss, not the first, but you have to fight him to even have a chance at fighting the others in terms of figure drawing. So, don't be too discouraged because your gestures improve as your whole skillset as an artist does.

Second, i'd highly suggest you to not only copy from photos and do your gestures there but look for artists like VILPPU, STEVE HUSTON, HAMPTON etc and try to absorb the craft from them, because they've already made the "math" so, you can copy the results and reverse engineer it on photos. It's the quickest way to improve, believe in me.

I'd suggest following the proko series since they're free and grabbing a couple books, steve just released an awesome one and vilppus is legendary, imo.

I tried to show you a little bit of it through drawing on top of your drawings, just excuse me because i haven't drawn like this for a while, and i don't like it as much anymore, eventually i think that all of us develop our own way to perceive movement.
NewCanvas1.jpeg

Postby Ibyville » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:56 am

Ibyville

Kaique wrote:Ok, first of all, good effort, these are not bad at all, you did capture movement in many of them, but let me try to explain something to you about gesture drawing etc (i used to be obsessed about it).

I think that the biggest thing about gesture drawing is that, its the last boss, not the first, but you have to fight him to even have a chance at fighting the others in terms of figure drawing. So, don't be too discouraged because your gestures improve as your whole skillset as an artist does.

Second, i'd highly suggest you to not only copy from photos and do your gestures there but look for artists like VILPPU, STEVE HUSTON, HAMPTON etc and try to absorb the craft from them, because they've already made the "math" so, you can copy the results and reverse engineer it on photos. It's the quickest way to improve, believe in me.

I'd suggest following the proko series since they're free and grabbing a couple books, steve just released an awesome one and vilppus is legendary, imo.

I tried to show you a little bit of it through drawing on top of your drawings, just excuse me because i haven't drawn like this for a while, and i don't like it as much anymore, eventually i think that all of us develop our own way to perceive movement.

So far I've reviewed Hampton and the truth is that it has helped me a lot, although I always forget how things are done and I have to go back to review it, but doing that I feel that I am getting better little by little but faster and more fun, thanks for your help.

Return to Critique This!