Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Friendo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:12 pm

Friendo

Subject title: crit my digital stuff, pls?

Hi!

I always post on /ic/'s /beg/ board and someone there told me to check out this site. so here I am.
I used to only use ink, but always wanted to go digital, still very new at it.

here some stuff I made:
https://imgur.com/a/EhsbU

any obv mistakes im making in my learning progress?
17yr old, self taught Sinix clone, also student living in the Netherlands . sketch book!: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99281&start=120

Postby Audiazif » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Audiazif

The things that stick out to me are proportions, gesture, and lack of corrections or even over corrections.

For the proportions it seems like you are not measuring carefully enough. The two drawings on grey with the sketches on them are very elongated, but then on the second image the two guys are kind of stocky(I understand it might be caricature but there is still a problem with proportion). You are all over the place. I would try to look into proportions a little more. Measure things and be a little more critical. I would also work on the widths of things, you might have the length correct but it might seem long if it is too thin or it might seem short because it is too thick.

When I say gesture, I mean things are stiff. You need to loosen up and concentrate more on the bigger picture rather than small details. The details are the last thing to worry about. You could have the most intricate and detailed drawing but it will not compare to a loose, generalize sketch. In the initial stages try to be more lenient on yourself and just put things on the canvas then in the following stages reevaluate things.

The last thing is when seeing the images with the sketches and then the cleaned up lines, you either leave it pretty much the same or completely change things the might actually hurt the drawing. This sort of goes hand in hand with the last point. A sketch is the stage where you can be loose and make mistakes. Then you can make corrections and changes in the next stages,try be mindful of why you are changing things. Again it comes back to being more critical (but not so critical that you get nothing done), just because you did it the first time doesn't always mean it is correct or that it is the best choice.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Critique This!