Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby TheTCcat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:57 pm

TheTCcat

Subject title: Mr sea monster and his poor rendering

TheTCcat

Postby Fantelle » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Fantelle

The composition is very flat. All the action seems to be taking place in one plane. Here's a similar concept but with fore/mid/background, which looks a lot more dynamic:

Spoiler: show

Environments and composition videos: Link, Link

Also, your rendering is mainly missing edgework. Learn how to control soft and hard edges (link) and your rendering will improve lots.

Lastly, be careful with your colors. In this very blue environment, there's no way that red would be so bright. Istebrak covers washes in these videos (link, link, link).

Postby TheTCcat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:14 pm

TheTCcat

ok. im really new to art and theres alot to learn still (as of now I'm 12) but I will definitely remember these things.
thanks for the tips! :)
TheTCcat

Postby nachobuddy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:41 am

nachobuddy

You're 12? With that in consideration, that drawing is more than impressive if you ask me! I would however agree with the reply above mine, the drawing is a bit 2-dimensional. Perhaps you could elongate the drawing to give it space for added waves or debris from the ship in the foreground that could give the drawing a better sense of depth.

I also want to make a comment on the colors. I like how vibrant the sea monster is compared to the rest without being too in-your-face! As there's so much of the color blue in addition to the blue being dark, it swallows up the drawing a little bit. I would perhaps add some yellow in that lightning to combat all the dark blues. You could add some yellow to where the light bounces off the waves closest to the lightning- this will also help to give your drawing dimension. If you want, you could add some lighter purple to the brightest part of the sky for added contrast. I dont have my tablet to check if it's a working theory, but see what you can make of it!

You've already pointed out the rendering, so there's no need to bring that up :-)) The water will look great once it's crisper.

I've added a very sloppy color palette to give a basic idea of how you could bring in some contrasting colors without overpowering the motive. If these are used sparingly, they shouldn't take away from the grim feeling of the drawing, while still adding more details to the coloring. That's all I got for now, I hope it's been of some help!
colors.jpg

Postby KeaneFox » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:47 am

KeaneFox

Sea monster aside. I don't think a chest full of gold can float, can it?
seriously tho good work. Keep picking up the basics Fantelle mentioned and you going to be a pro by 14 15.

Return to Critique This!