Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Dinhosaur » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Dinhosaur

Subject title: Something's missing, would love some suggestions & critiques

Hi there, currently working on a Howl's Moving Castle fanart, and I'm having trouble making the piece look more interesting. I've had the idea to place a crescent moon at the back but it may draw the attention away from the 2 characters. I've also considered to maybe change the composition and perspective of the characters, but let me know what you think is best :).

PS: Also if you guys can critique the faces and anatomy that'll be great too, since they've always been my weakest point in drawing, sorry if I'm asking too much!

Thanks guys
AHMC.jpg
Deviantart: http://dinhosaur.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: sirdinhosaur.tumblr.com/
Instagram: instagram.com/sirdinhosaur/
Youtube: Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/SirDinhosaur

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:11 pm

DarkLored123

I think that this is neatly executed. In my opinion the only thing that stands out is that there is barely any force of gravity applied on the female, while she is being held by the demonic figure, she by herself wouldn't be able to bend her arm in mid air like that. Gravity would pull her down and cause her arm to stretch, so my recommendation is just to apply some gravity or change the pose so that it makes sense as to why gravity isn't affecting her as much as it should(The character carrying her, instead of holding her arm).

To give a sense of motion I'd also blur a bit of the image since I assume they are flying, I'd also add some lines to indicate the motion in which the wings are flying as well with curved lines. Maybe apply some more atmospheric perspective as well? I don't think that much of the background would be visible due to the affect of the atmosphere.

Postby Dinhosaur » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Dinhosaur

DarkLored123 wrote:I think that this is neatly executed. In my opinion the only thing that stands out is that there is barely any force of gravity applied on the female, while she is being held by the demonic figure, she by herself wouldn't be able to bend her arm in mid air like that. Gravity would pull her down and cause her arm to stretch, so my recommendation is just to apply some gravity or change the pose so that it makes sense as to why gravity isn't affecting her as much as it should(The character carrying her, instead of holding her arm).

To give a sense of motion I'd also blur a bit of the image since I assume they are flying, I'd also add some lines to indicate the motion in which the wings are flying as well with curved lines. Maybe apply some more atmospheric perspective as well? I don't think that much of the background would be visible due to the affect of the atmosphere.

Thank you DarkLored123 for the critique! Sorry I forgot to clarify in my original post that she's suppose to be somewhat flying. In the film the male figure uses his magic to make them both fly/walk on air, and I wanted to reference this idea somehow into this piece (picture below), I will try and make this clearer somehow. For the motion blur part I agree! Will definitely apply that near the completion of the piece. Hmm, I think I get what you mean with the atmosphere and perspective, I will try and modify it a bit further. Thank you again for the comment!
vlcsnap-2013-05-13-23h30m50s0.png
Deviantart: http://dinhosaur.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: sirdinhosaur.tumblr.com/
Instagram: instagram.com/sirdinhosaur/
Youtube: Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/SirDinhosaur

Return to Critique This!