Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby LK Crown » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:12 pm

LK Crown

Subject title: If you like... Crit my Dark Souls Character ;)

This is my Dark Souls Character. :) For now I would consider it finished, but if you have ideas on how to improve it, I will go back to it.

Lordkaiser_DarkSouls_Swordsman_small.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:27 am

Ambiguity

You're not using a mouse to paint are you? Pretty much all of your edges are too hard if you're going for a painted look(maybe you intended cel-shading though). Also, I think your light direction could be made more clear, this is a bit spotty.

I painted up some steel just to show how the reflections work:
Notice the strongest reflections and light come clearly from the top left. Even if this was chrome, this relationship between lit side and shadow side needs to be maintained.

Postby LK Crown » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:03 pm

LK Crown

Oh man, totally right. I will have to go over that again. Didnt even realize how much improvement is possible there.

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:08 am

Ambiguity

What I did is actually too clean and airbrushy tbh, but definitely being organized with your light and shadow will go a long way in making those forms feel 3 dimensional. ;)

Postby Audiazif » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Audiazif

I think you need to work on color choices. I know dark souls has a dark and unsaturated palette but that doesn't mean lack of color. If you color pick from a screenshot of the game you will see that there is color even in the things that look like a certain color(e.g. grey). What I am trying to say is the armor should not stay grey. If you have the armor (or anything) painted in pure grey and then color other things in the image it looks like an unfinished colorization of a black and white image.

On another note, dose your character have telekinesis? Just wondering because it looks like that shield is just floating there without him holding it. :)
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby snisetski » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:18 pm

snisetski

I personally feel that the orientation of the torso doesn't flow well with that of the head. The left arm blends in with the chest. It looks very unclear. You can work on the lines a little. The colors too. I like the concept, it looks cool and you can make it look cooler, I'm sure!

Postby LK Crown » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:14 pm

LK Crown

Audiazif wrote:On another note, dose your character have telekinesis? Just wondering because it looks like that shield is just floating there without him holding it. :)

Oh, it's a very cool shield! :) it has two handles to hold it with your arm horizontally and it also has one handle to hold it vertically.
like in the sketch:

shield.paint.jpg

Return to Critique This!