Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Whoever1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:14 am

Whoever1

Subject title: Cartoon me..?

So i had the assignment to draw myself as a kid, how i am now and as an old man for a character design class and i picked what i assume is my style since it's how i've been sketching for a while now. i'm still learning fundamentals so i have an idea on what needs work, but i lack the skill yet to do it.
d.png

Postby Alpacamood » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:41 am

Alpacamood

aight so first off i think the colors in this are really good. what would make this piece stronger would be to start working on construction, alot of areas fall flat because they dont look solid. for example, the right sock, the hand, and the neck of the character look especially wonky. my suggestion would be to find a copy of preston blairs cartoon animation book as a pdf for free, unless you like physical books. that book is somewhat simple in apperance but the drawings are very solid, and most of the lessons in that book are applicable for much more intricate styles. good luck!
whoever1 critique.png

Postby Whoever1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:42 am

Whoever1

Nice! Thanks, i also think the colors are the strongest point of my character i suppose i just get color more easiy, as for construction.. well, let's just say four monts of study are nothing haha. Funny, i thought my anatomy was the wonky part, but i think that's also not very good. I've fixed some areas since (the left knee was way down) and i think i wasn't really paying attention to some stuff; see i used a lot of angles here and there but i think in some areas it serves as a detriment to reading the form so i'll work on it. Other than that i'll try the book, sounds interesting. Thanks!

Return to Critique This!