Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby eggdome » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:31 pm

eggdome

Subject title: an icon i made

Hi id like to get some critique on my most recent icon drawing I made. Any comments are appreciated
newer icon critique.png

Postby Josephcow » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:48 pm

Josephcow

This is dope I like the colors. :)

I 'm not sure how I feel about how the hair is hanging in two big pieces over the shoulders though. It reminds me of the cartoon version of tarzan. It just feels a bit unnatural/odd.

I also don't really care for the soft glow from the background around the hair and hands etc. I feel like this works well as a cel shaded piece and the glow just makes it more complicated than needed. It also kind of flattens the form to me because you put it even on parts of the hair that the main light source is touching. Not that you can't combine soft and hard cel shading, but that aspect of it needs some work.

Postby Whoever1 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Whoever1

I like this kind of coloring a lot, as pointed above, the colors you picked are real good, but, for me, the values of the shading are a bit too high for shadows, the color is fine but i'd pick a darker value, either that or make the background a real dark value so that it gives more credibility to the lighting, the way it is now it feels like the place where your person is is way darker than it is because of the lighting.

Postby snisetski » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:40 pm

snisetski

The hair structure looks very rigid, maybe make it flow better? I really like everything else, good work!

Postby eggdome » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:53 pm

eggdome

Thank you all very much! I'll keep these things in mind and try to improve!

Return to Critique This!