Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:33 am

UnorthodoxThing

Subject title: I thought I should get critique on Gesture drawing

20 minutes... I think that's quite long for this small amount.

Any tips or advice to get me more progress? It's only been a few days I've started on it.
gesture drawing practice1.jpg
Instagram || ArtStation || Tapas #romanticize

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:40 pm

DarkLored123

I think that you are not pushing your gestures enough, I've noticed that most of the poses are made up of more straight lines rather than a nice and smooth curved line of action, regardless of angle and type of pose the line of action will never be straight. What I recommend in your case is to draw the line of action in a one smooth continuous line rather than breaking it up since it'll ruin the chances of getting a smooth curved line of action and exaggerating it more than the pose appears on the reference since when you add structure it'll stiffen it up so exaggerating it will be useful.

Just another pointer when you starting putting in your shapes make sure that they follow the rhythms of the gesture and balance on certain parts with curved and straights, it'll make the pose a lot more interesting and so on.

I've red lined over your sketches to show you what I mean:

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:19 am

UnorthodoxThing

Thanks!

I was thinking about where the weight is distributed in relation to the ground (or just gravity). I was also wondering about muscle (which I know little of) and the porportion if right. Proportion definitely had me hesitant. Should we neglect sharp edges or prominent muscle when gesture drawing or will that come in time when you study about it together?

Postby DarkLored123 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:36 pm

DarkLored123

I think you should first get used to capturing the flow of the gesture before moving on and actually applying weight distribution on the character. There's a good book by the way that goes over weight distribution called "Figure Drawing for Animators", it goes over how you apply the straights and curves to show that weight is being distributed to the entire body.

You shouldn't worry much about proportions when working on gesture, when I studied gesture I usually broke down how much I did at a time so for example I'd find the line of action for the torso and then move onto the legs, that would've ensured that I got the proportions right. As you start understanding gesture more you won't really need to physically draw the line of action anymore, you can simply imagine the gesture on the pose and simply draw the forms to accompany that gesture that you are visualizing.

https://nsio.deviantart.com/art/Nsio-ex ... -408201339

This tutorial pretty much sums up the gesture and shows some good examples of how it can be used.

EDIT: One other piece of advice, make sure you are aware that the line of action doesn't have to be forced onto the body for it to be correct, I've made this mistake and it caused my drawings to become flat although there still was gesture in them, just make sure you think of the gesture and structure separately where the structure is guided by the line of action to create a fluid shape.

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:19 am

UnorthodoxThing

That was really helpful! I want to do a comic so I think this is important for me to do everyday.

I was trying to look up for "Figure Drawing for Animators". By chance do you mean "Force Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators"? By Michael D.

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:52 am

DarkLored123

Yes that's exactly the one I was talking about, it has a lot of insight and practical knowledge on how force is distributed through the marks you make on the contours and so on, really good read.

Return to Critique This!