Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby lo-fi » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:21 am

lo-fi

Subject title: Another practice for Light and Shadows

Thanks you guys who've answered my last topic on lights and shadows. I've been studying and trying to understand still. But out of a few practices I did, this one was the best. But I know I can improve better with criticism! Any shadows that look off or such?
jellylight.png
“Every artist has thousands of bad drawings in them and the only way to get rid of them is to draw them out." - Chuck Jones

Postby Audiazif » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:41 pm

Audiazif

It is very rough and I can't really tell what is going on. I would say this is an example of "spotty" shading. There are a lot of spots of value but they are not connected. Try to be more deliberate with your light and shadow choices. Start with big areas of value and then go smaller and smaller.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby lo-fi » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:39 am

lo-fi

Audiazif wrote:It is very rough and I can't really tell what is going on. I would say this is an example of "spotty" shading. There are a lot of spots of value but they are not connected. Try to be more deliberate with your light and shadow choices. Start with big areas of value and then go smaller and smaller.

Yeah I understand what your saying. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. But your words motivate me! Thank you for replying.
“Every artist has thousands of bad drawings in them and the only way to get rid of them is to draw them out." - Chuck Jones

Postby lo-fi » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:26 am

lo-fi

Audiazif wrote:It is very rough and I can't really tell what is going on. I would say this is an example of "spotty" shading. There are a lot of spots of value but they are not connected. Try to be more deliberate with your light and shadow choices. Start with big areas of value and then go smaller and smaller.

Yeah I re-did the piece and used a simple brush. Anything I can still fix?
jelly.jpg

Postby DRaff210 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:24 am

DRaff210

It seems to me like you're trying to tackle a very complex subject matter (a human head) and paint it without a strong foundation in rendering basic forms. You'll definitely want to practice on simple objects like spheres, cubes, and cylinders before attempting something more complicated. I highly, HIGHLY recommend Sycra's own video series on rendering light and shadow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-LZVFZuGE. It's what helped jump-start my understanding of rendering basics, and I'm so grateful that it was able to teach me so much in such a short amount of time.

Keep at it, and never give up! :)

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:03 pm

UnorthodoxThing

The Asaro head is a good guidance for finding the planes of the head. It shows you where the highlight, midtone and darktone. It helped looked at the head 3-Dimensionally. But yeah, as DRaff210 said, the human head is a complex subject that requires it's own separate time. You gotta consider the structure-proportion of the head, types of features (nose, eyes, lips, head shape, etc.), etc. I know you're stylizing your work, but that doesn't really hep when you're studying these fundamentals. Focus on a controlled environment (without stylizing, just real and simple objects). When you're comfortable enough maybe then you can tackle more difficult forms.
Instagram || ArtStation || Tapas #romanticize

Return to Critique This!