Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Kavilen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:52 am

Kavilen

Subject title: Chibi me

So i was draing a chibi version of me and have never done chibi before. I'm, of course, not done with the body, but I was wondering if it looked good. I especially wanted to know if the hair is fine or how to define it better (huge noob with hair). Im trying to go for a simplistic pic so that it can be a good profile pic. Thanks in advance! :D
rsz_chibi2.jpg

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:12 pm

DarkLored123

I redlined your chibi drawing and while I am not experienced particularly with chibi characters I know what sets them apart from regular human figures and that is proportions and exaggeration.

First of all I recommend you study up perspective and form since the way you drew this indicates that you are not so familiar with those things, for example your clothing doesn't indicate any sort of volume including the rest of the figure which appears flat. Now also look at how I drew the clothes, particularly where I did the flowy lines I've added some dynamism(gesture) to capture flow in the clothing which is really beneficial and boosts up the drawing as a whole, it is simply pleasing to the eyes.

Your face is pretty flat, I can draw straight lines through it and I'd get the same result as you, define the form of the face and expresses the cheek bones on the character. I also changed the eyes and some other details like the hair because they lack volume or structure. Also you might want to work on your lines since they are bit wobbly, use your wrist and other parts of the arm to draw the lines, not your fingers.

Also look at the stick figure I drew, that is basically the proportions of the chibi character since it is deformed the shoulder width doesn't really matter and we can play with the proportions because chibi characters are deformed from original proportions anyway but they still follow rules of basic human proportions such as the torso(and head) and legs occupy half of the height of the character and how the arms end mid thigh.

I recommend you work on proportions, perspective, and form before moving on to this but I assure you that you will reap the benefits if you learn the fundamentals but this is a decent attempt.

I hope I made sense, I redlined just in case I can't explain in words but that's all I have to say and I hope I helepd. Feel free to use the example I gave you as a reference or whatever to finish your profile pic.

These tutorials might be of interest to you:

https://nsio.deviantart.com/

Return to Critique This!