Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Walsa » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:31 pm

Walsa

Subject title: Wall painting for school

Hi! In our school we now have this "competition" where you need to design a piece and winners get to paint it on the wall (This is a one time thing. There will not be next time). I want and need this to be perfect. That is why I am begging for your help. Basic idea that I have is a frozen polar bear. That is pretty weird but I like it :D My class teacher loves polar bears so that is the reason. Why frozen? - Why not! I want this to stand out. My school is not an art school so I don't know how many will even try this. Because this will be "forever" and I will be staring at it for the next 3 years I want it to look good. There is no place for mistakes. But no more talking. Here it is!

Lighting is still a bit of a question mark. In a way I would like for it to come from under (That is what I tried) but also main light from up and glow of the ice could be nice. I also would want help with that. Thank you soo much already!

Postby Josephcow » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:00 am

Josephcow

Oh, well this does sound serious. I think perfect is a lot to hope for. You *will* grow as an artist and you *will* look back and think of ways it could be better and you have to be okay with that. That being said, the drawing is really really nice, so that's already done which is great. But a nice line drawing does not a mural make. Zoom out on this picture. Does it look like a polar bear? This is how people will see your image from across the hall.

KwwAe8e.jpg.png

I see a shape sort of like a steak. But the polar bear isn't easily readable. Think very hard about having a simple value structure for this painting that will make it both read well from a distance, and be easy to execute. The fancier you try to be with this the more likely things will go wrong ( I have dealt with this same issue, it sucks, but you have to make sacrifices for stuff like this). Think about the shadow on the bear being a large simple shape at first that easily contrasts with the color of the wall. This is important because your outline, though a good drawing, cannot carry your painting. In fact, you might not even be able to paint the lines in like you have it, they will likely be too delicate. The blocks of color will.

Postby perkexpert » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:06 pm

perkexpert

Joseph is absolutely right here....i can only urge you: Ditch the frozen thingie and go with a straight bear! Clear up the silhuette a bit, it has a lot of tangents and lost edges regarding that. You would want a really nice silhuette for a mural and a very clear statement.
Your drawing is really nice, but you would want to make sure, the the whole thing works as a block of values, as Joseph already pointed out. Then you might do a digital version and project it onto the wall via beamer when painting. Also, make some mockups in Photoshop with the whole room
and the wall and think of all the light that is coming to it...again make a digital mockup of the painting on a photo of the location. You will be surprised how wrong most colors will feel on it. Adjust your colorchoices for those effects. I wish you all the best, and please post the result IF you are going to really paint it :)
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby Spider » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:27 pm

Spider

Dont make it red, use blues.

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:14 am

DarkLored123

If I were you, I'd change the composition and perspective. Before even considering the painting itself you need to consider the forms, perspective, and proportions of the subject you are trying to illustrate, the composition is just too bland for it to grasp my interest in the piece also the polar bear itself is flat, look at it's right paw it looks like you are trying to make it face the viewer but the rest of the leg isn't following the perspective and that shift in position doesn't seem plausible to be recreated by an actual polar bear unless some of his bones are broken.

I also want to point out that ice doesn't absorb light, it reflects it. At best if some of that light were to be absorbed it wouldn't be as much as you painted and the direction of the light source isn't clear which is also a mistake, define your light source. If you want to get this by the deadline I recommend scrapping this idea and coming up with a 2D illustration instead, because regardless of how much time you'd spend on it unless you have the skill sets to pull something off like that then it isn't worth the time spent.

Postby Walsa » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:01 pm

Walsa

Thank you all so much! <3
Only thing is that this is only a really rough sketch. I clearly forgot to tell that. I am so sorry!
This is definitely not going to stay red. I want it to look as realistic as possible. And now I can definitely see that it looks like a steak... That is not good. I am just so afraid that polar bear on itself won't impress. It seems so boring. Our school is full of so beautiful and creative art... There is also a problem that I don't know where these wall paintings are going to go. Well. I approximately know but there is like 100 meters of wall space where it could go.
But thank you so much. I will definitely try to save this... I am not feeling that confident right now. I am so confused. I also understand that it can't be perfect but I don't want to make half ass job either. I am also pretty slow painter so that is why I showed the sketch. It would be really difficult for me to change finished piece. Especially if the problem was on the anatomy or things like that...

Here is my lastly done piece. I think that my painting skills are fine but everything else is not that great.

Postby Fantelle » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Fantelle

If I were you, I'd try another idea to make it stand out. Keep the polar bear (it's beautiful, just fix tangents like perk mentioned) but maybe do something else
    with it. The whole frozen idea is going to be really hard to pull of like this. I'd do something relating to your school somehow, they'd probably like that C;

Return to Critique This!