Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby lo-fi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:27 am

lo-fi

Subject title: Nature drawing

I decided to challenge myself and try to draw a nature shot. I've been trying to draw in the grass but I'm just frustrated with this piece. any criticism would help. I don't know if the focal point reads, the focal point is the green mushrooms.
Webp.net-resizeimage.png
“Every artist has thousands of bad drawings in them and the only way to get rid of them is to draw them out." - Chuck Jones

Postby EL-BADER » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:05 am

EL-BADER

Nice work lo-fi! I like your work on the trunk of the tree. It looks organic.
There were three main points I thought that could help to improve this piece:
- Smoothing the harsh black line work
- Toning down the highlight of the ground
- Adding an element to the emptiness of the upper right corner
I went on and tried to illustrate some of my points visually (attached).
I also thought the mushrooms would read better if they were a different colour and I thought red might compliment the overall greenness of the work.
But I don't know maybe having them green serve a purpose so I had two versions for you : )
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Postby lo-fi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:09 am

lo-fi

Thank so much for replying! I really do appreciate it. Yeah I think i did a little much on the highlights. I was going for a yellow-green patchy green grass. But going green really makes the shot more appealing. Thanks for telling me about the blacks. Yeah the green mushrooms was on purpose, But it works better with red. I'll work onto the drawing again :)
“Every artist has thousands of bad drawings in them and the only way to get rid of them is to draw them out." - Chuck Jones

Return to Critique This!