Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby EL-BADER » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:22 am

EL-BADER

Subject title: Self-Portrait | Acrylic Colours

Greeting!
This is a self-portrait I painted on May 2016.
I used acrylic colours primarily and a bit of metallic paint with some final touches of ink.
I can see that the left eye is off.
I will be very happy if you can give me any feedback on it.
Thank you!
painting.jpg

Postby Audiazif » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:33 am

Audiazif

It is hard to tell how the head is oriented. The way the nose is done and how only one ear is visible indicates a 3/4 view but then the mouth, eyes, head shape, and facial hair look like they are from a front view. You need to think of how the head is turning in 3d space. In this case, even at a slight 3/4 view, you would have one side of the face be compressed and the facial features would be different. I also think the proportions might be a little off. Mainly the head and nose. The head seems large because of the hair, I think it might of been exaggerated a bit. And the nose seems long to me. I know I don't know what you look like but there are a few things with this painting that make me think there is something off.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby EL-BADER » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:43 am

EL-BADER

Thank you Audiazif! You're absolutely right. The nose and ear directionality are not the same as the eyes' and the lower part of the face.
There is definitely a likeness but it is not realistic. I felt it had some hints of the stylised kind of Tudor art which I like.
I cannot say that it was planned properly or that I had a certain result in mind, it was more experimental.
But I can use all the feedback I can get : )
Audiazif wrote:I know I don't know what you look like but there are a few things with this painting that make me think there is something off.

My current avatar is a picture of myself except the hair which is digitally dramatised.

Postby Josephcow » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:18 pm

Josephcow

Hey, nice work! Agree with you about the eye though, one is a bit higher than the other. And the nose could be too long.

Some tips that might help you avoid that type of error:

Measure the head in question from ear to ear and compare it to the total length of the head. This way you won't enlarge the cranium or make the hair too big.

Measure in thirds from bottom of chin, to the nose, nose to brows, brows to hairline and compare measurements. Sometimes they're the same, but sometimes not.

Draw a line through each inner eye corner to make sure they line up

If you do all of this in the block-in/drawing stage you can avoid these issues because these measurements are what make you look like you just as much as the facial features. You can measure by holding your brush or pencil at arms length in front of you and closing one eye. Example, the horizontal width of the head might beach the middle of the forehead in real life, then you can check on your painting and see if it's the same. If using a photo just measure right on the picture.

Maybe you already know or do this, but it really helped me. It's so annoying having to make the nose shorter or longer because you have to repaint 2/3 of the face practically! So it's best just to make sure at the start.

Postby EL-BADER » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:15 am

EL-BADER

Thank you Josephcow! I think I have foolishly avoided the calculating aspects of art in the past, which explains my current mistakes!
I don't normally use guidelines and I generally place each part of the painting with reference to its relation to the other parts which could result it a mess!
But Hopefully in the future I am going to try and take my measurement carefully before starting to paint.
Thank you very much for your feedback!

Postby Josephcow » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Josephcow

EL-BADER wrote:Thank you Josephcow!
I don't normally use guidelines and I generally place each part of the painting with reference to its relation to the other parts which could result it a mess!

I sometimes don't actually draw the guideline in, just knowing the measurement in your head might be enough, or a small dash to indicate the placement of things could be enough. Remember, any guidelines you use are for YOU only.

And you should be putting things in the painting in relation to other parts! But it becomes messy if you pick too delicate relationships to start with. Like if you start with an eye and try to draw a face around it. Or if you base the placement of something on a part of an object that is vague, or variable, like hair. So that's why I say get the biggest forms right first and Base the smaller ones on those.

Your painting is actually very nicely done apart from the few issues, you can't expect a perfect likeness every time.

Postby EL-BADER » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:13 pm

EL-BADER

Josephcow wrote:But it becomes messy if you pick too delicate relationships to start with. Like if you start with an eye and try to draw a face around it.

That is exactly what I did :D !
I keep telling myself that one has to keep in mind that choosing to paint traditionally means having to expect not being able to fix things quickly.
I mean if it was a digital painting then the placement of the eye, for instance, could be easily fixed!
But still, a lot of what's wrong with this painting could have been fixed during the sketching phase.

Return to Critique This!