Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby TheTCcat » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:45 pm

TheTCcat

Subject title: trying to make a knight thing critique please

TheTCcat

Postby Ab Captain » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:55 am

Ab Captain

I like the contrast in the figure and the form in the torso and head. I think the gesture is pretty weak though, it looks very ambiguous, I can't really tell if he's in an action pose or if he's just standing threateningly.
Tear my art to shreds (Preferably constructively)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90773

Postby goago » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:55 pm

goago

the torso looks nice, and i really like the way you did the mail, it reads well as mail and also has a good form to it.
The pose tho, has some issues. the arms dont work you foreshortened them in an awkward way, also the perspective of the sword does not work.

Also his helmet. it just looks off. the values dont really work. rendering reflective surfaces like veeery tricky. Depending on how reflectife the surface is, there might not even be any shadow. (chrome) The dark spots on the material are just reflections of dark objects. this is why you get so much conetal is actually vetrast on reflective surfaces, because if they reflect the lightsource, they appear extremely bright, and if they dont, they tend to be pretty dark.

This probably confused the heck out of you but well... When it comes to reflective surfaces i dont really know what im doing.... lol

So all in all what i recommend you to study is basic lightning, doing form studies. This is where you try to render simple geometric shapes like cubes and stuff and try to make them look realistic.
But before you do that you should probably study perspective. Because perspective is the underlying structure of your objects. If your values and your colours are amazing but your perspective is off, it still looks wrong.
for perspective i recommend to you drawabox.com I learned the basic perspective skills there and it really helped me a ton.
But most importantly: Just keep drawing and have fun!

Return to Critique This!