Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Spider » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Spider

Subject title: help

I made this painting and but I don't know how to feel about it. I feel like some parts of it don't work, if anything about it seems off to you, I would love to hear your opinion
thanks!
blissful murder2.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:00 am

Josephcow

I love this! nice job all around. It's cleanly rendered, and communicated a nice contrast between gruesome and peaceful.

One thing: the leaf shadow effect isn't working properly. This is a really hard effect to pull off, I've tried and failed numerous times. What you need to realize, first of all, is that when things are in shadow, they are in shadow (duh, but wait). Shadows do not multiply or add together unless there are multiple light sources. In this scene there are technically two, sun and sky. So you can't have a cast shadow within a cast shadow unless there is another light source. the form shadows caused by the form turning, are the same shadows as the leaves on the body! It sounds obvious, but you have broken this rule, and thus broken the illusion (you have tons of leaves overlapping, and a cast shadow from the ground that is not the same color as the cast shadows from the leaves. They are the same!) . So the leaf shadows should be a pretty much flat color without variation except for the modeling from the second light source, the sky.

So with this in mind, maybe a multiply layer is not the best way to render this effect! A shadow is not just the same lighting but darker, it puts the object in question in a completely different state. You could render two version of the same object, one lit by the sun, and one lit by the sky and then erase the sun layer to see a more true effect. Tedious, but that's probably what I would do.

The other thing that might help, but is not mandatory, is that the shadows cast by the sun through leaves are actually softer in edge than you have it, and tend to have a circular shape in the 'holes' of the shadow. If you are going for a more graphic approach and don't want to have these soft edges that's fine, but I think it adds to the effect. Also, you can imply different distances for the leaves by varying how soft the edge around the shadow is which is really cool.

The colors are pleasing, but not what is plausible for the lighting situation. You can make a stylistic choice and I think it works here, but do it consciously. Don't just do purple shadows because it looks cool. The only way the shadows would be purple would be if the sky were purple. So I don't mind the colors at all, i think it looks neat. Just make sure you've thought about it, and not just done a purple multiply layer because it usually works.

BTW sorry my paintover is rough and ruins your careful work. I hope it makes my point though.

shadows.jpg
blissful%20murwder2.jpg

Postby Spider » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:40 am

Spider

ohhhhhh duh
haha i feel like an idiot now, thank you so much that helps a lot :D

Postby Josephcow » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:17 am

Josephcow

Spider wrote:ohhhhhh duh
haha i feel like an idiot now, thank you so much that helps a lot :D
Heh naaah I've honestly made the same mistake like 100 times.

Return to Critique This!