Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

 

Postby B-astion » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:59 am

  B-astion
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:27 pm

Subject title: Looking for feedback on digital painting :)

Hi there,

Not sure if my first edition of this post has been caught up in spam so I'll try my best to write this again.

Firstly, as this is my first time using this forum please do let me know if I need to create an introductory post anywhere.

Secondly, having been sketching predominantly traditionally for the past year, and recently becoming more active in my pursuit to improve in art, I have decided to try my hand at digital painting. I've previously created a few rough grayscale images and have just made my first 'complete' piece.

While I enjoyed making it and am fairly pleased with the outcome I'm sure there is a huge amount wrong with it which more experienced eyes than mine could pick up in an instant. I've seen how useful the responses to other people on this forum has been so have decided that I should throw my piece in to be torn apart. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback you may have in regards to anything really (lighting, colour, composition, technique etc).

Thank you!
ACS-coloursketch.png

 

Postby gricc » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:32 am

User avatar
  gricc
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:46 am

Welcome to Sycra.net! There is a thread to introduce yourself in the lounge I believe? I'm not so sure, but to me I think the big problem is definitely the color, the whole painting is just full of this muddy yellow and it's very unappealing. Try to study life and the world around you to really understand color. But I like the idea of the whole painting, reminds me of bloodborne sort of!
Sinix 2.0

 

Postby Josephcow » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:30 am

User avatar
  Josephcow
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:46 pm

I like it. Yellow is a tough sell, but at least it's not greenish yellow. and it reads really well so nice job.

The lighting could be stronger. I'm not certain those planes on the roof would be lit based on where you put the sun. (I assume the bright spot is the sun behind clouds.)

 

Postby B-astion » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 am

  B-astion
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:27 pm

gricc wrote:Welcome to Sycra.net! There is a thread to introduce yourself in the lounge I believe? I'm not so sure, but to me I think the big problem is definitely the color, the whole painting is just full of this muddy yellow and it's very unappealing. Try to study life and the world around you to really understand color. But I like the idea of the whole painting, reminds me of bloodborne sort of!

Thanks for the feedback.
I see what you mean about the colour now, think I must have got used to it while painting! The setting is meant to be a dirty, smog ridden city, but I suppose the painting should be allowed not to be disgusting too. :D

Josephcow wrote:I like it. Yellow is a tough sell, but at least it's not greenish yellow. and it reads really well so nice job.

The lighting could be stronger. I'm not certain those planes on the roof would be lit based on where you put the sun. (I assume the bright spot is the sun behind clouds.)

Thank you very much.
Yeah, you're correct on what the bright spot is. I found it tough trying to make the lighting accurate and interesting, probably a mistake! I agree that it doesn't make too much sense, definitely something I need to work on. :)

 

Postby snisetski » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:48 pm

User avatar
  snisetski
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:43 pm

I feel like a little more contrast on the person would make them stand out. Right now, the lower part of the painting (the ones in shadow) have higher contrast than the main subject.

 

Postby B-astion » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:17 am

  B-astion
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:27 pm

snisetski wrote:I feel like a little more contrast on the person would make them stand out. Right now, the lower part of the painting (the ones in shadow) have higher contrast than the main subject.

That is a very good point, I hadn't noticed that before. Thank you!


Return to Critique This!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests