Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby wartynewt » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:07 pm

wartynewt

Subject title: angel painting

Hey guys, here with another painting, so i'm probably going to spend another 20hours or so on this painting and i already spent a ton of time on it so i'd love to get some feedback. I'm really trying to push myself to reach that pro lvl :p so don't hold back.

Untitled-10.png

bigger screenshot: https://gyazo.com/71537d694de4f12a5b7d696df75cc4e3

Postby behxmot » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:47 pm

behxmot

wings and hair seem to need more definition, which is exacerbated by the fact that face, hands, and swords look way more detailed. This is probably part of where you where going to spend the 20 hours, but I've heard on multiple occasions that one should work on the whole painting at once, keeping a more or less consistent level of detail overall. This has an additional benefit of any stage being presentable on its own

are the sword handles made from a black metal of some kind or maybe obsidian? they look so shiny and cool I wanna touch 'em lol (esp the right one)
sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92788
instagram: instagram.com/behxmot/
twitter: twitter.com/behxmot
deviantart: behxmot.deviantart.com/

long ded :: abolish wage labor

Postby wartynewt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:02 pm

wartynewt

yup they are and yea that's what i was going to spend more time on :), i try to make the whole painting look representable, but it's just easier to render the hands and face early because those are the hardest area's to paint imo, so when i got those down i can relax a bit more hehe but you're totally right, the whole painting should have about the same amount of finish to it.

Postby Audiazif » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:42 pm

Audiazif

wartynewt wrote:... the whole painting should have about the same amount of finish to it.

Not necessarily. At the very least you want your focal point(s) to be more refined and everything else can be less refined. But that is just one trick to draw the eye.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby wartynewt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:35 pm

wartynewt

@Audiazif: yup, thats right too :)

https://gyazo.com/a036dc95c3cd1bd76b0eda78e26a424c already did some work on it, feedback still very welcome :p

Postby Josephcow » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:15 am

Josephcow

Well the whole thing should be well considered, let's say. :) I like what you have now, very cool. Love the subtle transparency of the fabric! Can't imagine spending 20 hours more on it tho. just improving some edges would be enough I would think unless you are going for photo-real.

The skin looks just a little too saturated is the only thing I'm really noticing right now.

Postby Oli » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Oli

Wow, nice!

First things first, the pose: Rock on! Very nice and dramatic. You really nailed that. Also with the flying skirt and the movement in the hair, makes it really interesting to look at. Just make sure the wind is always blowing in the same general direction ;)

The face is just perfect! All those little details, I am in love. The missing details in the hair were already pointed out. But I'd not overdo on details there, maybe were the hair meets the face?

For the wings, at first sight I did not even notice the missing details there. I was just looking at the face! And those hands. As well perfect. It is the swords that seem to be a bit outta place, because they aren't as detailed, but then they might draw too much attention. Don't know, I guess you need to try.

I guess this'll be one of your best! Keep it up
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby wartynewt » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:07 pm

wartynewt

@Oli: thanks man :) i think it is my best so far for sure :) worked 3x as long it as well haha
@josephcow: fixing edges and light took me pretty long but indeed only about 10hours for this result and i think i can call it done now, i desaturated the skin a little bit but i kind of liked the oversatured look so kept it maybe a tad too saturated still but hey :p

https://gyazo.com/2be4d561894ba22cbcdf318f9fa811da
Untitled-10.png

Postby Josephcow » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:32 am

Josephcow

It looks great! I like it.

Return to Critique This!