Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby behxmot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:16 am

behxmot

Subject title: Gestures/Figure Drawings

here's some gestures/figure drawings I've done today. These weren't particularly fast, I hope you can see some contours there.

Could you please tell me:
1. do the poses read alright?
2. are they fluid, dynamic enough or should I push them more?

I know that some proportions are off and they're messy.

sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92788
instagram: instagram.com/behxmot/
twitter: twitter.com/behxmot
deviantart: behxmot.deviantart.com/

long ded :: abolish wage labor

Postby Ab Captain » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:54 am

Ab Captain

The gestures generally read pretty well although I can't tell what's happening with the third one from the right. I'd say the poses look pretty good too, although it might be a good idea to push it more for the sake of experimentation. Overall, they portray gesture pretty well!
Tear my art to shreds (Preferably constructively)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90773

Postby Audiazif » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:32 pm

Audiazif

I think you could push them more and try to find out how far you can push things just for future reference. One thing that I see is in the initial stages (the scribbly lines?) you are trying to get the outside contour right away. This can somewhat hurt the gesture because the contours are not what make up the movement. I would try to describe the movement in a single shape and then build the contour and forms around that. This way everything follows the gesture. I did an example on one of your drawings.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby behxmot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:32 pm

behxmot

Ab Captain -- thank you for the advice, I should definitely try pushing just to learn! And do you mean the unfinished one, right next to the one who's sitting on a bar stool? (It's the first pass of the one that is sitting.) Or the one that is reaching for something that Audiazif drew over?

Audiazif -- thank you for the great advice and a draw-over! (And you picked the one area I liked the least and showed me why that is, lol.) I certainly tend to go for the contour to early and will try the shapes thing.

The scribbly lines are actually the way it looks when I try to follow Vilppu's approach, which is "find the flow lines", "go over the form", "contain the form", but I tend to forget about it and go for the contour nonetheless, and then it immediately shows as stiff and unnatural.
sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92788
instagram: instagram.com/behxmot/
twitter: twitter.com/behxmot
deviantart: behxmot.deviantart.com/

long ded :: abolish wage labor

Return to Critique This!